cayman island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kdfinazzo

Reaction score
I am going to be visiting grand cayman in sept and would like to find out if any of the dive shops run just a floating dive or snorkle trip from one end of the inlet bay past sting ray city and pick you up at the the other end. this seems to me to be a interesting snorkle trip for people like my wife who can no longer dive due to medical reasons

Do you mean a drift dive or snorkel through North Sound? Sounds suicidal. Lots of boat traffic out there.

There are two sites for stingrays - the Sandbar and the original Stingray City. Most snorkel trips go out to the Sandbar, and to only confuse things more, most shops call both sites Stingray City.

The original SRC is and area just inside North Sound with sandy bottom. Lots of rays, but not so much coral. By comparison, the Sandbar has a fairly large area of coral heads nearby.

Stingray Caity can not be reached safely from shore. Lots of other snorkeling is available from shore around the island. Buy a snorkeling guide, or ask for directions in a local dive shop.

Stingray City is much too far off Grand Cayman to do without boating assistance. There are wonderful walk-in dives, the best of which is Eden Rock... to be enjoyed by both divers and snorklers. Eden Rock is right in downtown so is frequented by many of the visitors from cruiseships. Best to go when no or few cruiseships are in dock. Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom