Cayman in mid june

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my opinion, the Brac never gets oppressively hot. It is surrounded by water which moderates the temperature. The water temps should be above 80 degrees. The winds will generally be out of the south which means most of the diving should be on the north side.

If you can try to dive the deep walls on the south side. They have good corals and you will often see a reef shark or two. The shallow south side reefs are good too. There is a site with great pillar coral and several sites with elk horn coral.

It is handy to dive on nitrox especially on the south side deep walls. The nitrox certification is easy to get. It can be done online or in a couple of sessions at the local dive shop.

Just an FYI, Nitrox generally adds some expense when diving in the Caymans - sometimes as much as $12 per boat tank (usually only $2 per tank for shore diving).

Just a reminder, since you are island-hopping on this trip, remember that the "wait to fly" rule does impact trips between the Cayman Islands so keep that in mind when scheduling your dive days. But if feasible, it might be better to schedule things (excursions, tours, dives) a bit earlier in the week or mid-week, instead of waiting to the end of the week. If the weather turns bad you can usually re-schedule for later that week.

Last edited:
In my opinion, the Brac never gets oppressively hot. It is surrounded by water which moderates the temperature. The water temps should be above 80 degrees. The winds will generally be out of the south which means most of the diving should be on the north side.

If you can try to dive the deep walls on the south side. They have good corals and you will often see a reef shark or two. The shallow south side reefs are good too. There is a site with great pillar coral and several sites with elk horn coral.

It is handy to dive on nitrox especially on the south side deep walls. The nitrox certification is easy to get. It can be done online or in a couple of sessions at the local dive shop.

I think that "hot" is a personal perception, @PatW I see that you are located in Central Florida and so you are probably used to the heat, so I'm guessing that the breezes of Brac may make the temp seem very pleasant to you.

But I live in the Midwest (it's snowing right now!) and there have been times when I have found Brac to be very, very hot. A lot really does depend on the winds, but when the weather is calm the sun feels hot and the air temps can be sweltering. And sometimes the cool breeze can be deceptive, you don't feel hot but you can get a bad sunburn.

I see that the OP is from Northern California and is probably used to dry hot weather as well as cold weather, but may not be used to the humidity encountered in the tropics.

This is just my opinion but I recommend staying hydrated, wearing cool clothing and a shady hat, and using sunscreen.

Last edited:
Greta if you need any additional info about TNI feel free to contact me I own there.

Kathy has been a great source of info and she has covered everything in great and accurate detail !!!

Back
Top Bottom