Cayman Hurricane Season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Elisa

New
Reaction score
Hello! My boyfriend and I are planning our second Scuba trip and we heard that Grand Cayman was a great choice.

We had planned to go to Grand Cayman but I had to cancel in July because of a family emergency. We can take some time off mid-Sept but this unfortunately coincides with Hurricane season.

Do any of you happen to know what Grand Cayman is like in September? Are we crazy to go there risking Hurricanes? Should we get travel insurance that covers Hurricane? If so, any recommended insurance policies?

Thanks so much, we are going mad with no scuba since February!

:confused:

Cayman is a great diving destination in September, or any other time of the year.

Cayman has not taken a direct hit from a hurricane since Gilbert struck in 1988. Michelle did make a close pass last year causing damage from wave action. Since there are no guarantees, travel insurance would be prudent.

The Atlantic Hurricane season runs from June 1st to November 30th and of course anything could happen to any Caribbean Island during that time.
Over the last few years it seems that October has statistically been the month when Cayman has had some close shaves, although as Drew Sailbum points out the Caymans have not been hit directly by a Hurricane since 1988. BUT.. how does the saying go? "there are lies, damned lies and statistics!"

Paradoxically the Hurricane season is, in my opinion, the best time for diving in the Caymans. The winds are lighter and so the seas are calmer, the vis is superb and we usually see more of the big critters (spotted Eagle rays, sharks, turtles etc).

Accomodation is also much cheaper than the winter months and the Islands are generally much quieter (esp in Sept).

The downside is that in September many of our restaurants and a few of the dive operations close down for their annual vacations!

Basically you take your chances and there are never any guarantees with weather but odds are you will be OK.:doctor: :boom:

Thanks for your responses which really convinced me that this trip is worth the risk.

We just booked our trip to Cayman for Sept 12th! We got a room at Sunshine Suites for just $75 a night! What a deal!

I'll get some travel insurance just in case though.

Good choice on Sunshine Suites... nice, newer accomodations and that great deal makes it worth the short walk across the street to the beach!
Have a blast! August and Sept have always been my fav time for diving here. I used to come down here for diving every late August before I moved here. Calm warm waters (85 F !) and no crowds.
Safe trip! :)

Back
Top Bottom