Cayman Flooding!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Washy

Reaction score
I read on another web-site that unseasonably heavy rainfall has caused flooding throughout the island. Does anyone know whether there has been any serious knock opn effects to resorts/ dive schedules (I'm flying out to GC on Saturday!!!)

I'm now slightly panicked as I've been like a child for the past week over my trip to the Caymans....

Washy (acting 7yr old):confused:

I envy a trip to the Cayman Isl....and hope to get there some day in the near future....

Perhaps a call to your hotel or a dive shop there would give you some comfort?

Good lluck!

Sean

My mother is from there and we still have numerous relatives that live on the island. I know she has talked to several of them during the last few days and she hasnt mentioned anything to me about unusually heavy rainfall.

You may want to check the following website: Dive Cayman

They have current weather information on it.

You might also drop Drewsailbum or Caymancase a PM if they dont come along shortly.

Due to the geographic makeup of the island, I'd think it would be difficult to have "flooding" per se. Localized pooling of water maybe, but most is absorbed directly into the ground. That combined with no rivers is what contributes to consistently high viz around the island year round.

I'd be interested in hearing more from the locals about the results of heavy rains.

No worries.... we did have a full day of heavy rain yesterday, but that has since stopped and the flooded streets are pretty much back to normal. We have a very bad drainage problem here so, when it rains, the streets and parking areas become flooded for the day but quickly recede or dry up.
Have a great trip, Washy!! Casey

Oh yeah... this does not affect the diving! Rain or shine, we dive! :)

and apparently local schools did dismiss students early yesterday, but nothing too serious.

Diving on East End went ahead as scheduled today.

That's good to know Drew as we're diving the East End our first week and don't think I could bare it if I had to see Washy sitting with his bottom lip out looking longingly at the sea! It's bad enough watching him prancing excitedly around the flat in full dive gear!

Don't worry, diving has been going ahead as usual all over the island!
It did rain pretty hard on Monday, but then we were wet anyway!
Our second dive was a bit like a twilight dive but things have brightened up considerably since then! The weather forecast is looking great for the weekend so you'd better pack that rubberwear up instead of wearing it around the house!

Happy diving,
CJ.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom