Cayman closed until at least September 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even an all-thumbs review of the internet reveals one's odds of dying in an accident is far more than one's chances of catching and dying from COVID-19 but many, including here on this forum, fully support Cayman's government heavy handed shut down. I suggest such people, to be consistent, should just resolve to not get out of bed until September 1.

Even an all-thumbs review of the internet reveals one's odds of dying in an accident is far more than one's chances of catching and dying from COVID-19 but many, including here on this forum, fully support Cayman's government heavy handed shut down. I suggest such people, to be consistent, should just resolve to not get out of bed until September 1.

Apples to oranges comparison. Dying in accidents is generally not thought to be contagious. Here on the Brac there is a very high concentration of elderly folks. I don’t think anyone has the “right” answer yet. Even Sweden, which has a really lax response compared to surrounding countries, in rethinking things in light of a high death rate among their elderly.

Apples to oranges comparison. Dying in accidents is generally not thought to be contagious. Here on the Brac there is a very high concentration of elderly folks. I don’t think anyone has the “right” answer yet. Even Sweden, which has a really lax response compared to surrounding countries, in rethinking things in light of a high death rate among their elderly.
I have co-workers in Sweden - the only thing they are rethinking is how they might have better isolated the elderly in nursing homes - not imposing a general lockdown for everyone.

New York made the same mistakes and was sending patients that tested positive back to nursing homes until just this past weekend - elderly paid a heavy price for that bad decision!

Moved my from April trip to late Sept. Hoping that works out. If not have to shuffle again or see if insurance will cover whatever condition it falls under and the next declaration.

Moved my from April trip to late Sept. Hoping that works out. If not have to shuffle again or see if insurance will cover whatever condition it falls under and the next declaration.
If your insurance covers flight cancellation, I think you would be fine since if the borders stay closed there would be no flights into the islands. Prior connecting flights might be a different story. Good luck

but many, including here on this forum, fully support Cayman's government heavy handed shut down. I suggest such people, to be consistent, should just resolve to not get out of bed until September 1.

I'm going to disagree with you on this. I live in Grand Cayman. There are many many people who do not support this at all. The examples are found largely on private Cayman Facebook groups, but there are some public examples too.

How to boil a frog and why it should terrify you - Cayman Islands Headline News

I'm going to disagree with you on this. I live in Grand Cayman. There are many many people who do not support this at all. The examples are found largely on private Cayman Facebook groups, but there are some public examples too.

How to boil a frog and why it should terrify you - Cayman Islands Headline News
Very true - there needs to be balance in the approach. Flattening the curve was what was what was sold in here in the US initially as well but now seems to be morphing into someting else?

However, hiding/isolating in our homes in hopes of a vaccine that may or may not come (or even be effective) in a timely fashion while the economy collapses around us is an untenable and ill-concieved strategy that will result in more long lasting misery/hardship and deaths over the long haul for many more people globally than the virus would deliver on it's own. Governments need to find ways to protect vulnerable popluations as best they can while allowing broader societies to get back on a track to some level of normalcy. It's not an easy or popular path as more will likely die in the short term vs remaining in hiding - but a balance has to be achieved or this ends very badly for most. Crappy sitution we find ourselve in to say the least...

In the meantime, I wish everyone the best and hope to get back to Cayman once allowed in order to support the industry - it's one of our favorite places to vacation and dive!

I think the situation in Cayman is more akin to countries like New Zealand or Australia than the US. It is a small country with borders that can be closed. My understanding was that what they always meant here by control was to shut the disease down. It is a small community with many older people. They are not willing to put those people at risk. We have other things to fall back on aside from tourism and many of those people outside tourism are working The lawyers, accountants, and others connected to finance are very busy. Our retail is starting to open up. Sadly those involved with tourism are not going to see any relief before at least the end of the year. It is what it is and there are folks on both sides of the fence but just as difficult as this is since they said they were closing the ports, it seemed pretty obvious why. We are not alone in this. Look at many countries around the world who shut down It is not going to make everyone happy but many are very happy that we don’t have to count body bags unlike places like NY and the UK where so many travelers unknowingly infected thousands. We are not staying at home waiting for a vaccine, we are staying at hone waiting for the 1or less R Value.

We have other things to fall back on aside from tourism and many of those people outside tourism are working The lawyers, accountants, and others connected to finance are very busy. Our retail is starting to open up.

No, we don't. 70% of the GDP of the Cayman Islands is tourism. Attorneys are not opening up. My attorneys firm is shut down, and the Government has encouraged her to leave, like all of the other permit holders.

The little amounts of retail that will occur from locals that remain here is not enough to sustain the economy at all. On the recent DOT meeting this was agreed upon by all, even the Government DOT reps.

I'd encourage you to read the article I posted from CNS. He illustrates the point quite well on tourism, & finance.

I hope public pressure from Cayman residents and businesses, and well reasoned and controlled openings can happen before the end of the year. I want to go dive in Sept but even if I don't, to think about the absolute collapse of the businesses and economy there is just crazy. There has to be some measured middle ground or lowering the R value and sustaining an economy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom