Cayman Brac Trip - Recomendations...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-hh once bubbled...
Food, the best restaurant on the Island is generally considered to be the "Captain's Table"; expect Dinner for 2 to run you US$80. Aunt Sha's is good (and inexpensive) for local food, and La Esperanza's has good Jerk Chicken 2x/week.
-hh [/B]

:wacko: , What, haven't you been to ..... the " G&M diner", or "BlackiesCeeseburgers" ? :D

Nobody can tell a good joke or have as great of a come back as "Cliff":boom:

Cliff also has the dang dirtiest car interior in the world, he gave my wife and I a ride from the car rental place one day, it was the most unbelievable thing, and yet I think he'd give you the shirt off his back!
:D

Dive safe,
Caymaniac

When I was at Divi Tiara early Sept., we saw several jet skis from BRBR. I have no idea about price, but I think that they were very much out of place there. They were running up and down the channel in front of the dive shop and the resort. Not very good for laying around the pool and watching the ocean.

hh,

Wow! That was really a great review. Thanks for the links :bang:

Just as a reminder to any future posts. We are committed to the BRBR as this is a package trip from our dive club at our LDS (air, transportation, etc are all included). So these jewels of wisdom will be welcome for anyone who might search for such info at a later date, but will not be of significant importance to us unless it would be a reason to reconsider this trip at all. That is why I am also soliciting ideas for other possible ways to spend our diving money. FWIW, we are considering a Blackbeards trip in lieu of this, or San Salvador Bahamas.
Anyway... thanks again to you all. Everyone has been very helpful (especially you hh!)

caymaniac once bubbled...

:wacko: , What, haven't you been to ..... the " G&M diner", or "BlackiesCeeseburgers" ? :D

G&M doesn't even know how to make a grilled cheese...and Blackies looked close when we went by (BTW, there's a new liquor store across the street).

Nobody can tell a good joke or have as great of a come back as "Cliff":boom: ...I think he'd give you the shirt off his back!
:D

Agreed. I've been guilty of conspiracy, as I've taking him down bottles of "Dave's Insanity Sauce" for the past few years for him to have fun with his friends.

BTW, I don't know if you saw my note of a few weeks ago that reported that Cliff is having health problems...he had a heart attack last Winter. He's still insisting on working 6 days/week, but you can tell that its wearing him out. Anyone who loves Cliff and is going to be visiting soon needs to subtly help his wife Coleen "henpeck" him into keeping his next Doctor's appointment, which is in Miami this coming January. Cliff doesn't want to go, but he really needs to.

-hh

-hh once bubbled...
I've been guilty of conspiracy, as I've taking him down bottles of "Dave's Insanity Sauce" for the past few years for him to have fun with his friends.

What the heck is "Dave's Insanity Sauce"?

BTW, I don't know if you saw my note of a few weeks ago that reported that Cliff is having health problems...he had a heart attack last Winter.
-hh

Hmmmm, this is not good. I hope this doesn't stem from him having a little too much ....sauce:eek:
If Cliff goes the old place wouldn't quite the same, I have already missed the old gardener who used to really keep the condo area swept free of leaves and pine needles.

Caymaniac
:)

Aeolus once bubbled...
When I was at Divi Tiara early Sept., we saw several jet skis from BRBR. I have no idea about price, but I think that they were very much out of place there. They were running up and down the channel in front of the dive shop and the resort...

I'm going to take an educated guess and say that this was right around or just before the weekend of September 20th.

Reason being is that there were Jetski's briefly on the Brac this year. They had been temporarily imported from Grand Cayman for a special event, "Brac Bash".

Brac Bash is a weekend party to commemorate the anniversary sinking of the M/V Cpt Keith Tibbets (aka 356 Wreck), sunk on (IIRC, 21st of) September, 1996.

I flew in to the Brac this year on Sept 19th, and there were a dozen or so Jetski racers on the flight, as well as a bunch of Grand Caymaners. For the jetski's, the Brac Bash festivities included a Brac Circumnavigation Race and a "Poker Run".

And I happened to be underwater at "End of Island" Reef when the Jetski's came around the west tip of the island on the Circumnavigation Race. After we surfaced, we found out that some of the competitors cut inside of our moored boat (ignoring our 'diver down' flag), for which the race officials were reportedly quite upset (I hope a few of them were given DNF's).

After Sunday, all the Jetski's were gone. Vamose.

Since the Brac's supply barge usually arrives on Thursdays, the jetski's were probably moved over to the Dock on Monday and Tuesday, to be packed up and loaded back into containers and shipped back to Grand Cayman on that Thursday's barge.

In any event, the remaining two weeks of our visit were nice and quiet...

-hh

caymaniac once bubbled...

What the heck is "Dave's Insanity Sauce"?

Its a very, very hot Jalapano/habañeros sauce.

On the now-obsolete "Scoville Scale", the higher the rating, the hotter the pepper...although technically, you're really measuring the Oleoresin Capsicum content /purity.

Dave's gets a rating of ~80,000 units
Cayenne pepper rates ~40,000 units
Tabasco sauce? A mere ~4,000 units.

Most people don't know Oleoresin Capsicum by its scientific name, but they do know it as "OC Pepper Spray". Its a different (and IMO more effective) product than "Mace" (CN).

Hmmmm, this is not good. I hope this doesn't stem from him having a little too much ....sauce:eek:
If Cliff goes the old place wouldn't quite the same, I have already missed the old gardener who used to really keep the condo area swept free of leaves and pine needles.

Agreed on both counts. There's a lot of "Sauce Problems" within the community...BTW, I forget the name of the old gardener who you're referring to, but last I heard, he's enjoying his retirement...did you know that he was in his mid-20's when the Hurricane of '32 flattened the Brac? (If you're a Brac Fan, you do have a copy of the '32 Storm book, right?)

Also, Melita Hill retired out of the Kitchens this past summer; she was the "grumpy" morning grill person before Cliff and she also used to drive the one bus from the airport. I always used to laugh at how the Divi Dive Staff was absolutely terrified of her, and were amazed at how I could make her actually _smile_ (!). I also saw Starry (she retired in '01)...she and Tennison are both doing well, up at NIM things. Patsie and Uleea and Mr. O'Neal and Ron are still working the dining room in the evenings and are all doing well.

In bad news, the gal who usually works in the AM with Cliff (argh, forget her name)...her ~18yr old {nephew?} and a 17yr old passenger had a very bad solo car accident during Brac Bash. They flight evac'ed the passenger out to Miami on 9/20...I doubt that he'll fully recover (head damage). Cause was excessive and underage Sauce consumption, if you catch my drift...

And Reef Divers had a dive customer do a Polaris off of a deep dive, and evac'ed them from the dock by ambulence to Faith Hospital...IIRC, this was on the 21st. I didn't hear any follow-up bad news on that one, so it was probably just the usual.

-hh

-hh once bubbled...
the old gardener , he's enjoying his retirement...did you know that he was in his mid-20's when the Hurricane of '32 flattened the Brac? (If you're a Brac Fan, you do have a copy of the '32 Storm book, right?)
Also, Melita Hill retired out of the Kitchens this past summer; she was the "grumpy" morning grill person before Cliff and she also used to drive the one bus from the airport. .
-hh

Wow, that guy is an "olden"! And that Melita sure could handle the baggage, she was wiry and in charge! I would always do my best to get her to smile, but it didn't always work :upset: :D
Thanks for the news, last year we didn't make it to the Brac, we did have an eventful dive year though. Bonaire, then T&C, then Australia then Hawaii........ahhhhh, can I do that again :confused: , most likely not afford that again;-0 , but it sure was great!

Thanks -hh,
Caymaniac

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom