Cayman AI's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Wyndham Reef is a nice place, but their AI package seems pretty pricey, especially in high season. Unless you are going to drink yourself into a non-diving compatible stupor every night.

I found it interesting to hear recently that the Reef is offering dive packages with Ocean Frontiers given there is that White Sands place there too, but WS has always sounded more like a general watersports op than a serious dive op. But unless something has changed, I think OF will pick divers up at the Reef and drive them to Compass Point for the boat, not bring a boat there. Tortuga Divers does leave directly from the dock at Morritt's next door.
I realize I might have come across as a bit of a lush. Its not that I want to drink a lot and I doubt I will get drunk even once. I'm way too timid a traveler to relinquish control of myself when in another country. I just don't want a surprise bill at the end of the week. I'd pay a little more to not have to worry about what I'm spending at the resort. Sounds like that's not going to happen in the Caymans for whatever reason so I'll have to adjust my way of thinking.

No, my son (he will be 18 by then) does not dive. My daughter (21) is certified but has decided she does't really like it and so she probably won't dive

1. Checking out local sights might be cool. famous places or "if you visit here you must see this thing/place"
2. Not that important. We come from the west coast of Florida where great beaches are an everyday thing. They're nice, but not a requirement for a vacation.
3. It might be fun to try and coax my son out to snorkel if it were convenient but not a priority.

Thanks for the quick answers! We might have to rethink our vacation next year and do something other than just dive like crazy for a week. I hadn't even really considered doing that until reading the posts on this thread.

Since there are non-divers in your party, you would be better off staying on Grand Cayman - unless all they want to do is eat and relax and maybe do some swimming, hiking, kayaking, caving - while you go diving - then you could go to Brac.

Last edited:
I realize I might have come across as a bit of a lush. Its not that I want to drink a lot and I doubt I will get drunk even once. I'm way too timid a traveler to relinquish control of myself when in another country. I just don't want a surprise bill at the end of the week. I'd pay a little more to not have to worry about what I'm spending at the resort. Sounds like that's not going to happen in the Caymans for whatever reason so I'll have to adjust my way of thinking.

it's your vacation and you should enjoy it!

...Thanks for the quick answers! We might have to rethink our vacation next year and do something other than just dive like crazy for a week. I hadn't even really considered doing that until reading the posts on this thread.

Take a look of this recent report by @tkaelin, Coconut Bay might work for your party, but it would best if you could rent a car:
Trip Report 6-1 to 6-8

Hadn't occurred to me, I didn't even remember the details of your original post until you pointed it out. :wink: Just commenting on the mention of AI at the Reef as I thought it was rather expensive. Even for Cayman.

We'll be bringing a total of 6 or 8 people (Me, wife, two adult children, two friends). Possibly two others who have expressed a mild interest.

I'm way too timid a traveler to relinquish control of myself when in another country. I just don't want a surprise bill at the end of the week.

Any of those 6 to 8 people not drink alcohol? If so, and they're willing to 'donate' their 3 drinks, for example, that might avoid a surprise bill.

Bundling alcohol into an A.I. can be a bit controversial; people who like to drink like to not get charged 'extra,' and people who don't, knowing alcoholic drinks are rather expensive (compared to soda, tea or punch), aren't fond of subsidizing others' alcohol consumption via higher A.I. costs. If your group has a mix, perhaps you could have the best of both worlds?

Richard.

If you are tryiing to keep non divers and divers happy and keep the cost down you might look at some other destinations. For your kids who don’t dive but are certainly old enough to be out and about SMB is a great option. Any place else will involve a car or expensive taxis when you can get them. Have you posted on Trip Advisor?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom