Cayman Airways to Cayman Brac excess luggage on the small planes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrex

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Thinking of a mid November trip to Cayman Brac. I was hoping to get in and out of there on the 737 flights but looks now like we may be going Friday and coming back Sunday so we will be on the small plane. My understanding is that the small plane has a one checked bag limit but will accept a second bag for a fee per pound. With bunches of camera gear it's hard for me to keep to one checked bag and one carry on.

Does anyone have any experience checking excess baggage on the small planes to the Brac? I don't mind paying a fee but would like to make sure it gets there and back with me.

I think the Brac gets jet service but not that many flights. There is also the Saab which is a larger plane. The final kind happens on small twin engined Otters.

My wife travels with 2 bags and a personal bag. I travel with a large bag. I travel with a carry on that has strobes, ports and housing and I carry a personal bag with camera and lenses.

we have gone to Little Cayman and the Brac over 15 times over the years. I have been hit with a fee once at 50 cents per pound. I think that usually happens on Saturdays when there are quite a few people coming in. Also, the only time I have heard of this happening is on the Otters.

Lately, we have been members of the Sir Turtle Club and I doubt that they would ever ding us for fees. The fact that we are frequent customers might give us a degree of protection. We also get to Grand by Cayman Air so I think if you are within weight coming in, they will rarely ding you. The fee might be sort of ad hoc based on a flight being packed and people being over the limits.

I think the Brac gets jet service but not that many flights. There is also the Saab which is a larger plane. The final kind happens on small twin engined Otters.

My wife travels with 2 bags and a personal bag. I travel with a large bag. I travel with a carry on that has strobes, ports and housing and I carry a personal bag with camera and lenses.

we have gone to Little Cayman and the Brac over 15 times over the years. I have been hit with a fee once at 50 cents per pound. I think that usually happens on Saturdays when there are quite a few people coming in. Also, the only time I have heard of this happening is on the Otters.

Lately, we have been members of the Sir Turtle Club and I doubt that they would ever ding us for fees. The fact that we are frequent customers might give us a degree of protection. We also get to Grand by Cayman Air so I think if you are within weight coming in, they will rarely ding you. The fee might be sort of ad hoc based on a flight being packed and people being over the limits.

Thanks that is good info. I tried to arrange to stay on the jets but with the limited flights and times it doesn't look like it will work out. But I think we will be on the Saab so that's good.

Dealt with this last year. If the turbo prop has room they take your gear when you leave Grand Cayman to Cayman Brac. Divers I were with actually were asked to have there gear at the airport early and the large bags travel on the first flight available. Each way the bags were waiting on arrival of the turbo prop island jumpers.

Yep, leaving LC, they took one bag a day early. We picked it up at GC airport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom