Caye Caulker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did my OW there last December. Stayed a week in a condo, paid around $900 for the week, was top notch accommodation. Had a great time, the island is small, laid back with but lots of fun. Very reasonable prices and great food. Would highly recommend!

Island Magic Beach Resort is where I usually stay but since I just go over for special events I'm unsure of the location in relation to dive ops. I've also stayed at the Rainbow which was just fine but it didn't have a full kitchen which Island Magic does have.

Info I could/would give you would be from the late 80's.....Thinking you need later stuff---:)......Remember staying @ Caye Chapel & Caulker several times each, remember a monkey on Caulker or something..------think they're right next to each other...

I would also check out Frenchies Diving. They have been around to longest. I have been to CC 12 times in the past 13 years and have dove with both Belize Diving Services and Frenchies. Both good outfits. I was there last March and dove the Blue Hole with Frenchies. The Blue Hole itself is just a big hole with not much to see but the two other dives of the day were two of the best I have ever done in Belize.
The accommodation selection on Caye Caulker is vast and ranges from Tina's Backpacker Hostel to 3-4 star resort type hotels. Google up Caye Caulker and you will get many links for hotels, hostels, guesthouses and so on.
Don't forget to make your way down to the Lazy Lizard. It's the bar down at the Split and the snorkling down there isn't too bad either. The current can be strong so take care.

My vote is Caulker over Ambergris if you are the type who doesn't like to think of himself as that typical tourist (even though you know you are). Caulker is, in a word, laid back. They don't call it Caye Slacker for nothing.

As for dive ops, the one I used is gone or switched owners. My wife, on a trip I had to sit out, had a bad experience with Frenchies. Apparently there are dive ops that have you sign up for a trip the next day and then, if not enough people sign up, don't bother to inform you at your hotel or by posting a sign in the morning that the trip was canceled, so when you show up first thing in the morning you are out of luck (in my wife's case, Frenchies was simply closed--with no explanation) and have to scramble to find another dive operator. In all fairness, we have since heard that Frenchies is not the only one that has been known to pull this trick.

Its an awesome place. My wife and I never repeat vacations to the same spot but after going in May 2012 we will be back there in just under 3 weeks from now. :)

Very laid back location, limited cruise ship intrusions, no cars.

We rented a house last visit and will be doing the same this visit. If you go in off season, the rental properties are very inexpensive. Hotel options are limited. This year, for 4 people we will be spending approx $800 for 7 days. $28 /person per night. :)

Belize Diving Services is top notch, I highly recommend them. Say hi to Argos for me!

-Matt

I stayed at Yuma's House, formerly Tina's. The only knock I had against it is it didn't have hot water in the showers, but otherwise, it's right off the water taxi dock and a mere 10 minutes walk or so from Frenchie's and Belize Diving Services.

Caye Caulker is fantastic and the flight over there is easy and scenic. Belize Diving Services is a great operation and you can't go wrong there.

Here are some photos from our Belize vacation last May. It was such a memorable trip. You'll have a great time!
Belize 2012 - Ashley Hauck Photography - San Diego, CA

Really, really nice photos, Ashley. Did you take any photos of the topside of Caye Caulker?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom