Caye Caulker vs. Mahahual

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clernix

Contributor
Reaction score
I had some questions about Caye Caulker and Mahahual. I would like it if someone could compare the two. i plan to be in the area next year and if they are pretty much the same I will just stay in Mexico. They are so close to one another and the same reef sytem I would think the coral, marine life and water clarity should be about similiar.

If someone could compare the three it would be great

Hi. Sorry I can't answer your questions, I just wanted to suscribe to this thread and don't know how to do so without posting in it.
I'm leaving for Mexico and possibly Caye Caulker in a month, so would love to know more also.

FWIW, I dove in Mahahual in Jan.-Feb. 2004 and stayed three weeks there. That's actually where I got certified, so didn't have a way to compare the reef with any other. It did look pristine back then (huge gorgonias, nice corals), the vis was excellent, saw turtles, huge eels, lobsters, rays, barracudas and a wide variety of fish, but not in big schools.
I dove with Dreamtime and loved them, and stayed 4 miles south of "town" at the Travel Inn, a cheap, friendly place with a great little restaurant by the ocean. No local bus service, I just hitched rides to town or the dive op and it was very easy. Only had to catch a taxi a couple of times in three weeks (you can also rent a bicycle).
Great snorkeling from the shore too. Low key and laid back, except when the cruise ships docked (but they only stayed on land a few hours, and it wasn't a problem if you were staying out of the little town).
Please note that this was 5 years ago, before the town was hit by hurricane Dean. So it could all be different now.

Some dive ops in Mahahual and nearby Xcalak offer trips to Chinchorro Bank which is supposed to be awesome, but you need to have a minimum of divers signed up and decent weather to go, so it's hit and miss.

From my research, diving around Caye Caulker itself is not that great, but you can take trips to some of Belize's best sites (Turneffe, Aquarium&#8230:wink:. And the island itself sounds like a wonderful place to chill.

I'd love to do both too, but transportation between both places is either time consuming by bus and boat, or a bit costly for my budget by bus and plane.
I'll post a trip report when I come back in January.

Hope this thread gets more answers.
Anne-Laure

Looking at the map Ambergis Caye is right off Xcalac. I am looking at Google maps but it only looks like a few miles, is that correct? I looked at Tropic Air and they will fly you from Corozon to Caye Caulker fro about $50 one way. The acomadations in Xcalak and Mahahula are so much nicer. I found some great rentals in that area. In Caye Caulker it wouldn't be as comfortabel so I am wondering about the trade offs.

I am going to Cozumel in Decemeber and I am going to try to get as much info as possibe to make a decision.

You're right, a flight from Corozal to CC isn't that expensive, but it's still the cost of a dive…
To do the trip Mahahual-Caye Caulker within a day, you'd have to take the 6 am bus to Chetumal, get there around 8:30, catch a bus to cross the border and get to Corozal (about an hour), then get to the airfield and fly to the island.

As far as lodging goes, I really don't know where you'd find the nicest accommodations, I'm perfectly happy with a hut and shared cold bathroom as long as it's on the beach.

BTW, when will you be in Cozumel ? I'll be there from Dec. 6th-13th.

I will be in Coz 12/29/09-01/07/10 to ring in the new Year.

My plan as of now is to go to Mahahual for 7 and 7 days in Caye Caulker. That is why I am questioning if the effort is worth it. The only draw for me would be if Caye Caulker is much better or rather different diving, more to see. Along those lines. Mexico seems more comfortable but adding Belize to my dive advnture sounds great too.

So many decisions:idk:

So many decisions:idk:
Life sucks, doesn't it :D

I'd suggest you post a thread on the Belize subforum, you are more likely to get specific answers there about Caye Caulker.
Also tell us more about your personnal tastes and what you're looking for : is it the "best" diving, the most comfortable accommodations, the off-the-beaten path destinations, what is your budget, etc. ? Also what is your diving experience/level ?

From the research I have done, the diving around Caye Caulker isn't the best in Belize, since you have 7 days, if you have the means, you could as an alternative stay on one of the atolls such as Turneffe, the diving there is considered to be awesome and they have comfortable lodging options.

A few threads that you might find interesting :
scubaboard.com/forums/belize/belize-2-weeks-where-to-dive-live
scubaboard.com/forums/belize/caye-caulker-recommendations
scubaboard.com/forums/belize/belize-report-glovers-atoll-caye-caulker
And a comfy hotel on Caye Caulker recommanded by Lonely Planet :
Caye Caulker, Belize - Iguana Reef Inn luxury seaside resort

I have been doing some research and found out a water taxi will take you from Xcalak to Caye Caulker for $40 a head. I also found out that Caye Caulker has no beach to speak of so this will also factor in. Trip advisor has some mixed reviews, sounds a little rustic but fun. I think I am going to extend my stay in Mahahual and do a two or three day jump to Belize. There are some Mayan Ruins that are being excavated in Mexico so I would really like to see that too. There is also Chinchorro banks in Mexico that I want to dive at least twice. I have also found very mixed reviews about the dive shops on Caye Caulker and I found I really nice one in Mahahual and the accomadations are so much nicer in Mahahual for about the same amount of money.

I have been doing some research and found out a water taxi will take you from Xcalak to Caye Caulker for $40 a head.
Who ? What ? Where ? When ? Haven't found any such info and would be greatly interested !

Go to Blueoceansafari.com and get in contact with Julie she is great about information. She has a water taxi and she mentioned a ferry from Belize

Back
Top Bottom