Caye Caulker vs Cozumel vs Mahahual

Which would be your go to if you had one day to snorkel?

• Caye Caulker

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Cozumel

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Mahahual

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Sorry for the repost, but I just realized that I probably should have posted here.

I am traveling north from Hopkins, Belize to Cancun for my departure back to the States and want to get some snorkeling in before the end of my trip. I am debating between the Caye Caulker Marine Reserve, somewhere on Cozumel, or Banco Chinchorro in Mahahual. I've read a bunch of conflicting suggestions online, as there often are and thought I'd come here for some advice. I have a few considerations:

1.) I know I'll have to go through Belize City to get to and from Caye Caulker, which I'm not super keen on given the crime. I know I'd just take a taxi between the water taxi and the bus station, but I'd like to minimize my time there if possible and if I went straight from Hopkins to Belize City to Chetumal in one go, I would only have to go once rather than twice. I do know there is a water taxi from Caye Caulker to Chetumal, but it's too expensive for my blood.

2.) Regardless of the site, I'd like to see some wildlife (fish, rays, sharks?) as well as coral and understand that going with a boat tour may be my best bet (though I have read that some of the sites off Cozumel may be good from shore). Given the cost concern of the ferry in point 1, I need something that gives me good bang for my buck. All the sites have accommodations for roughly the same cost, so that seems to be less of an issue than the cost of the tour itself. I have a hard limit of $50.

3.) Cozumel seems to be the most crowded of the 3. Did that impact your experience/wildlife populations if done as a day trip?

4.) I have heard that it may be difficult to find a tour for a solo traveler at Mahahual. Is there any truth for this, and if so, is Caye Caulker or Cozumel better for loners?

Any suggestions or votes for which would be the best? Thanks!

Edit: I speak fluent Spanish in addition to English.

I can't speak to Caye Caulker but I went to Mahahual several years ago with hopes of diving Chinchorro one day while we were there. Before our trip, the operator we contacted assured us that he'd be able to get us out to Chinchorro.

Once we got there, it turned out that no boats were running there that time of year. We just redirected to more local dives so all was not lost, but were a little disappointed in the change of plans.

If you have one day to spend, you might want to consider Coz over Mahahual if your main focus of going there would be Chinchorro.

I have not snorkeled, Mahahual, however I have snorkeled the other two and I say hands down Caye Caulker had the better snorkeling.

4.) I have heard that it may be difficult to find a tour for a solo traveler at Mahahual. Is there any truth for this, and if so, is Caye Caulker or Cozumel better for loners?

To dive in Mahahual have several options:
1- book a tour with diving
2- get there by yourself and refer the dive center
Perhaps as a bus or a car.
If you want i can give your a contact of dive center which makes tours to Mahahual for diving.

Going to Chinchorro is a total crap shoot based on weather. We went snorkeling there before our diving days. $600 for the tour and totally worth it. Booked the date months in advance. Crew wanted to move the date so they could party Father's Day late into the night, said no. Luckly I did as the weather went downhill fast with a TS 3 days later that blew for a full week after Alex passed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Too late for the original poster but perhaps for someone else:

Shark Ray alley snorkel tour from Caye Caulker. Nurse sharks and big sting rays. All pretty harmless. If you've never seen large marine life before, it will be a hoot.

Too late for the original poster but perhaps for someone else:

Shark Ray alley snorkel tour from Caye Caulker. Nurse sharks and big sting rays. All pretty harmless. If you've never seen large marine life before, it will be a hoot.

CC is too far from the reef. SRA is on ambergris caye so that makes more sense.

Caye Caulker will be a LOT more personal and individualized than Cozumel. Much smaller - in a good way.

For getting around in Belize, don't overlook small aircraft that serve the local dirt strips. More expensive but a big time saver.

The OP didn't mention it as a possibility but there is good snorkeling along much of the Riviera Maya. We just returned from Akumal and the we had a lot of fun snorkeling. We saw sting rays, eagle rays, green turtles and a lot of reef fish just off the beach. No boat or guide required.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom