Caye Caulker Dive Shop Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisTorontoScubaClub

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

There may be a thread that relates to my specific enquiry, but the list of threads under "Belize" is huge!!

I have a PADI Open Water referral student who just finished her class and pool with me. She's heading to Belize to complete her Open Water dives. She's staying close by Caye Caulker. Her thought process was that she wants a bit more of a relaxed scene than that which Ambergeris appears to offer.

I've found some info on the following dive shops: Belize Diving Services; Frenchie's; and, Paradise Down. All seem to be fairly above-board, but I am wondering if anyone has any particular insight into one of them or any other dive shop in that area?

From her personality, she is looking for a shop with English-speaking, PADI-oriented, skillful dive professionals. Having said that, she is also looking for a more laid-back scene, so a place that is chill, but also exemplary with new divers.

As I mentioned, any recommendations or suggestions are welcome.

By "close by" Caye Caulker, I presume you mean "on [the island of] Caye Caulker".

Paradise Down is long since defunct. As well as the other two operators you mentioned, there is Big Fish.

My personal choice would be BDS. Recently bought by a young go-ahead American, it has a mix of local and foreign instructors, and operates to very high standards. My second choice would be Frenchies.

I did my open water and AOW with BDS, they were a pretty slack operation years ago, no way was I ready to be certified as AOW, saying that the instructor they employed was a great guy and a bit of a legend in Belize by all accounts; Oscar Cruz, good to hear that someone who cares has taken over.

I did my open water and AOW with BDS, they were a pretty slack operation years ago, no way was I ready to be certified as AOW, saying that the instructor they employed was a great guy and a bit of a legend in Belize by all accounts; Oscar Cruz, good to hear that someone who cares has taken over.

Were you aware of that at the time, or did you come to realise it as you dived later? IMO standards of beginner dive courses can often be pretty low, and I have been forced to certify students (not just here, but in the UK as well) who in my view were not safe to be let out on their own. A key reason why I moved into technical diving and got all my subsequent instructorships there - in a good technical dive agency the instructor largely makes his own standards (I'm referring to quality, not content) and can decline to certify someone if he wishes.

I've known BDS for several years, both under the two ladies who owned it up until last year and subsequently. Although I've never taught there I've had the impression that standards were higher than the norm for the industry. Certainly the present owners, who are technical divers and instructors themselves, are very aware of what constitute proper standards.

Hmmm I have refused to certify many divers in my instructor career when i thought they were not capable I even failed my own brother. I would not put my name on a certification card unless I beleived they were a safe diver at the time of certification.

Nobody would force me to certify anyone and there is no reason why you would have to you can fail students.

As an Instructor it amazes me that you publicy state that you certify divers that in your opinion are not safe to be let out on there own. The liability of that statement is astounding.

Out of interest you say you are being forced to certify divers in Belize ? who exactly is forcing you ?

Gaz Cooper

Gaz - perhaps you are unusual amongst recreational instructors. I have been specifically directed by PADI to certify a student who had met all of the detailed requirements of the OW course, but nonetheless to my mind wasn't fit to be let out. I had declined to certify the student and there was insufficient time remaining to do remedial dives (which I would have done at my expense), and he complained to PADI. They directed me to certify him or they said they would, also instituting a QA investigation into me.

In Britain I was directed by my employer to certify students I felt weren't ready, because they knew that PADI would only direct them anyway. On that occasion they were going to a warm water resort, and I contacted that resort to advise them to keep a close eye on them.

Conversely, I have been specifically directed by IANTD NOT to certify a student who had met all the requirements quite well, but who exhibited a "macho" attitude to technical diving. And that "commercial" culture doesn't exist with BSAC at all.

You should know how low recreational dive standards have become, although perhaps you've been out of the industry too long. You should also know that I operate to high standards - you actually told me that to my face once.

Peter

Are you saying that PADI is telling you to certify anyone that passes the requirements even though in your proffesional opinion they are not safe to dive and if you dont they will potentially punish you for it.

All I can say to that is WOW

I maybe different and very headstrong and i would give up my job rather than put out an unsafe diver that could ultimately lead to a death that would be on my hands and concience.

I would expect my employer to stand behind me and be happy they had an instructor with such high standards if they did not I would find another employer.

I have been travelling for a couple of years enjoying diving all over SE Asia but still retained many many ties to the diving industry and now since my travels are almost concluded I am already back in the dive travel business and soon back in the diving business.

I agree that recreational standards have dropped but thats no excuse for an Instructor to drop his own standards.

With regards to you personally and how you operate I can only comment on when you operated Protech and always seemed to be operating at the top of your game and yes at that time I told you that.

My comment here is be very careful what you post, Scubaboard is already being sued for things said on this board and I believe you are named in that suit, the comments you have made here could be construed the same manner especially the PADI one.

With regards to certifying students lets look at this sceanrio

you certify a student in Belize at your current employers location and all goes fine and you certify what you beleive to be a competant diver. They have an accident on the next dive or any dive for that matter thats just purely an accident and then they or there familly file a suit

Any lawyer that found your personal statement above would have an open and shut case and base his case around you certifying divers knowingly they are not safe to dive thereafter.

Gaz Cooper

Gaz - I neither accept that argument nor am I worried by it. As you well know, we are dealing with shades of grey, not black and white. I have in the past been agreeably surprised that divers I certified have turned out better than I expected. I will concern myself with the quality of the diver I produce, not with any questions of theoretical liability. And no, I now won't obey directions to certify anyone I don't want to certify. I had someone like that a while back - he merely went to another instructor and was duly certified. When I teach AOW or nitrox courses I am often dismayed at the standards the students present with - a key reason I am against the growth of eLearning. The problem doesn't arise with really advanced courses (technical diving) because I only teach those students I want to teach.

I can assure you I have the same standards I always had, perhaps more demanding.

As to Scubaboard being sued I certainly don't want do add to their woes, but I would happily repeat in any forum what I said that was apparently the subject of that statement, as it was factually accurate and not malicious.

This post is rambling as it's late and I'm tired!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom