Cavern/Cave fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USAF Diver

Reaction score
I use split fins for all my OW dives, but now I'm taking cavern and intro to cave classes soon. Can all you cavers tell me what you use and what you recommend?

Most of the cavers are going to recommend Jetfins or Turltle Fins with the standard straps replaced by spring straps. If you do a search on this board, you'll find them discussed in several other threads.

You can look on Ebay for Jet Fins in the 30- 40 dollar range. If you have a dry suit, the XL will fit fine. If you have a big foot, the turtles will work fine. Try Northeastscubasupply.com, JOhn Allen seems to always carry them.

If you want to go with spring straps, check him out or look at Halcyon.net - the best thing about the spring strap is they last a very long time. They don't break or snag on cave line or wrecks. IF you want to make the spring straps yourself, check out Jim Cobb's Trimix web site.

Eric

I use Quattro's. They are awesome.
Who are you using for instruction?
Jetfins are popular mainly due to DIR recommendations. I've dove with a few of the hardcore DIr guys who wouldn't give up their quattro's.

When are you gonna start cave diving?

Divesherpa, thanks for the info. I'm planning on taking the cavern/intro course combo at Dive Outpost once I finish my rescue diver course. I'm also glad to hear that som DIR divers are able to think "outside the box" and use their own fins and not what their agency insists on.

My local tekkie LDS owner is a big time caver and a fan of the Atomic splits. If you want to ask him questions, click this link to email him.

I spend a lot of time around the corner at Cave Excursions. Who are you using for instructor?

As for fins, the people you see EVERY DAY are either wearing Jets or Quattro's.

I haven't found an instructor yet. It will be kind of tough for me to get into a regularly scheduled class because of my work schedule (I work nights and weekends) I emailed dive outpost over a week ago, but they never responded. Kind of wierd.

Hey,

I thought I read in a recent dive mag that Jet Fins have done away with their fin strap connector that allowed replacing it with a spring strap, and now use quick release buckles or something? Is this true?

Ben

Check www.aquaspeleo.com or try www.sidemount.com
I know all of their instructors and they are all top notch.
You can e-mail me at divesherpa@cavediver.net for a few references if you would like.
The instructors are teaching every day and will work to accomodate your schedule. Bill Rennaker is one of the best sidemount divers ever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom