Cavern and Basic Cave with Harry Averill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Medic0506

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After four days and 9 dives I passed my Cavern and Basic Cave. I definitely got bit by the cave diving bug and will be back very soon to finish up my cert. It was a great class and I learned more in one cave dive than I did in all of my time diving.

Harry is a great instructor. He has 30 years of experience and knows all of the systems around here well. I recomend to anyone doing cave to check him out. His web site is here.

A quick sidenote. On tuesday we watched two people pull up to the devil's system at Ginnie on a boat. To my surprise they entered the devil's ear with single aluminum 80's, pistol grip lights, no backup lights, no guidelines, and one with a snorkel dive They were down for 16 minutes(I timed it on my watch). Next, they came out swam over to the devil's eye and dove down there. They were down for about 32 minutes and popped out of the ear. This obviously made no one happy as these are the type of divers who used to die so frequently in caves. Well they made it to the surface and when asked how much air they had left the guy replied, "You don't even want to know." According to two people in a canoe who were above them when they were on a safety stop at the log, they appeared to be sharing a regulator. Whatever the case they are lucky.

I felt helpless to say or do anything as I was a new guy. Everybody said that these people never listen. It was true. When confronted on the surface the guy did nothing but deny he was in any danger saying he only stayed at the entrance, which is interesting considering in both entrances their bubbles dissapeared and in his second genious maneuver he went in the eye and came out the ear. I just wish there was a better way to keep these people out.

Harry didn't say anything to them?

I just wish there was a better way to keep these people out.
Darwin will remove them from the gene pool, don't worry.

Oh Harry said something alright but the guy kept saying he "stayed outside of the entrance" which we all knew was not true. You can't fix stupid I guess.

Oh Harry said something alright but the guy kept saying he "stayed outside of the entrance" which we all knew was not true. You can't fix stupid I guess.

Okay, that makes sense. I can't imagine Harry not saying something.....he's a pitbull when he sees something like that.

Harry's an awesome instructor. I'm glad he's returned to the sport.

The problem is they have a right, as far as I know, to enter the system ill-equipped as long as they enter from the river. Then when one or both has a problem and panics, its reported as a cavediving accident at Ginnie Springs. It hurts the sport for us all.

My gosh. Even if this is an old post I remember Harry instructing us in a cavern diving course that I took in January 1999!

He's still teaching...and loves to tell his students about the stupid things recreational divers do in caves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom