Cavedive article in Aug Outside Mag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i knew he passed away i didnt mean for it to be humour i just thought somebody has to be watching his email he probably didnt write that website himself he probably had a website designer do it and i was suggesting maybe the web designer would be getting his emails

Doc,

I don't really think it was stupid....was he pushing the limits, yes...but this is why we have the things we do today. The whole dive was to recover the body and it was exciting to him, it was an adventure.....I admire him for doing this. If you read his website he is a very intelligent person. He talks about his dive planning etc for past dives and his last dive.

Great people die doing lesser things....

jepuskar:
Doc,

I don't really think it was stupid....was he pushing the limits, yes...but this is why we have the things we do today. The whole dive was to recover the body and it was exciting to him, it was an adventure.....I admire him for doing this. If you read his website he is a very intelligent person. He talks about his dive planning etc for past dives and his last dive.

Great people die doing lesser things....

i agree, that was an awsome dive, which entailed a hugh amount of planning, and alot of EXPERIANCED cave diver's using rebreather's as support diver's. Comment's like that are STUPID !

ryanmacneil8448:
he probably didnt write that website himself he probably had a website designer do it and i was suggesting maybe the web designer would be getting his emails

Quoted below is the first few sentences of the first page of www.deepcave.com :

“Welcome to DEEPCAVE.com A website created by Dave Shaw.

Be warned...I am a rank amateur when it comes to website design, and don't have the time or the plans to improve. One day (soon) I will pay someone to do a proper job and then it might be worth looking at!”

I read the article and couldn't even make it through. Talk about absurd..

Doc Intrepid:
Since 900' dives are a pretty stupid thing to be doing anyway, however, the article ought to have had a disclaimer on it...
Not only 900' dives.. but 900' cave dives where you think you'll get some *work* accomplished at the bottom in the cave........

Well, I certainly don't think it was careless dive. It really is a good article to read and since reading it I have become really involved in the story.

The fact that it was in a cave really doesn't matter I think in this case, unless he got lost which didnt happen. He would have been in just as much danger doing this outside the cave.

Dave had a dive plan, a well thought out dive plan...him and his team went over numerous scenarios..however all of them involved the body being stuck on the bottom. None of them accounted for the body being loose based on Dave's initial contact with Deon months earlier. Dave was narced pretty bad, but was still very receptive to his VR3's as the video shows.

Absurd is certainly your opinion, but Dave certainly didn't look at it that way and his wife, even after he died his wife agreed with Dave's lifestyle. He liked to push the envelope and wanted challenges and he paid with his life for it. She seemed ok with it, it was what he loved to do.

Not too long ago diving to depths now done daily with rebreathers was absurd. In the future this dive might not be considered too challenging..

The majority of people always thinks something is beyond limits, something that hasn't been done before can't be done.

A reaching 100 mph, 200 mph ... an airplane being used to transport people across the continent or the oceans ... space flights and walks on the moon ... . :11:

All done by people with the desire to push the limits beyond conventions and willing to take risks, including loosing their lifes. Many have, on earth, in the air or underwater. But without them there would be no progress.

People adding O2 into the cylinders were once hailed as dangerous, suicidle, banned from DEMA even showing their witchcraft. Today it has become pretty much accepted. Same with He mixes after that, and single stage regulators before that. And we don't even want to get to the real crazy ones diving into wrecks or caves. Maniacs to society, that bunch ... at least to the narrow minded. The ones who can't believe there is anything beyond the(ir) horizon. A news flash for you guys: The earth ain't flat!

To call Dave Shaw or his endeavor stupid or absurd say more about you than him.
The man had a dream and a vision, and he went for it. He knew the risks and unfortunately paid the price. Like many who pushed the limits of conventions before him. I admire them. I may not agree, their dreams and visions may be different than mine or beyond my imagination, but I admire them.

As for his wife, it's called unconditional love. Another all to rare ability I admire.

caveseeker7:
The majority of people always thinks something is beyond limits, something that hasn't been done before can't be done.

A reaching 100 mph, 200 mph ... an airplane being used to transport people across the continent or the oceans ... space flights and walks on the moon ... . :11:

All done by people with the desire to push the limits beyond conventions and willing to take risks, including loosing their lifes. Many have, on earth, in the air or underwater. But without them there would be no progress.

People adding O2 into the cylinders were once hailed as dangerous, suicidle, banned from DEMA even showing their witchcraft. Today it has become pretty much accepted. Same with He mixes after that, and single stage regulators before that. And we don't even want to get to the real crazy ones diving into wrecks or caves. Maniacs to society, that bunch ... at least to the narrow minded. The ones who can't believe there is anything beyond the(ir) horizon. A news flash for you guys: The earth ain't flat!

To call Dave Shaw or his endeavor stupid or absurd say more about you than him.
The man had a dream and a vision, and he went for it. He knew the risks and unfortunately paid the price. Like many who pushed the limits of conventions before him. I admire them. I may not agree, their dreams and visions may be different than mine or beyond my imagination, but I admire them.

As for his wife, it's called unconditional love. Another all to rare ability I admire.

Very well put, i have alot of respect for him and his dive team that was there to support his dream, the real story is simply amazing, it's a shame he didn't make it back, A very sad ending..........

Back
Top Bottom