Cave wanna be question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtu

Registered
Reaction score
I noticed in some threads that split fins are not recommended for cave diving. If your frog kicking what is the difference?

I'm not a cave diver but I can say that split fins do not produce a very efficient frog kick. I believe they are primarily designed for scissor kicks. I imagine having a stiffer fin blade also makes it easier to propel all that gear you'll be wearing in a cave. I can't speak from cave experience, but this is what I've been told by those who do. Hope that helps.

** am not a cave diver **

but, from research, the split fins can trap the line.. an entanglement hazard.

new cave diver here...

yes, it's a lot easier to do a frog kick with stiff, full fins. also, stiff full fins
allow for small, delicate manveuvering with a minimal of fuss: things
like helo turns, modified frog, modified flutter, etc.

Caver95, i have heard of split fins getting tangled up in line (both cave and
anchor). the line gets in the "split" and it makes it harder to "untangle"
(i.e. get the line free again).

probably not a big deal, but a waste of time and air

I'm sure there is some argument for considering splits a hazzard for line entanglement than non-split fins, but effective frog kicking should be your main concern when selecting fins for cave diving. I've seen divers use both styles, but stiff blades are the norm for a reason.

Florida cave have very high flow rates, much higher than you can probably appreciate until you do some training. You'll want all the pushing power you can get. It just makes sense to use the best tool for the job. If you like your splits for ow diving, then purchase a 2nd set for cave. You'll be glad you did.

W

No entanglement issue (at least no more than any other fin), just VERY inefficient when it comes to frog, backward kicks. Once you go frog, you wont go back (at least I didnt). I frog all over the world, shallow, deep, open ocean, cave, wreck.......

Meng_Tze:
No entanglement issue (at least no more than any other fin), just VERY inefficient when it comes to frog, backward kicks. Once you go frog, you wont go back (at least I didnt). I frog all over the world, shallow, deep, open ocean, cave, wreck.......

New diver with only 38 dives and 2 months since OW cert. Don't have any problem doing frog kick with SP split fins, or going backwards, or doing helo turns. I still fin easier, but go faster than most of my buddies with minimal finning.

rockjock3:
New diver with only 38 dives and 2 months since OW cert. Don't have any problem doing frog kick with SP split fins, or going backwards, or doing helo turns. I still fin easier, but go faster than most of my buddies with minimal finning.

Just wanted to point out that a back kick is different than "going backwards".
And the frog-kick can be done in pretty much any fins. The splits don't keep you from doing a frog kick, it is just that a frog kick without the splits generally gives you more power.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom