Cave/Technical Diving Shop in Tampa Bay area that is cave fill friendly?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m in Largo and the shop I use is up in Clearwater Dunedin (HDC, mentioned below). I’ve only ever filled ALs there, and just up to service pressure, but I know they do fill steels as well, just not sure if they are willing to do a cave fill. I can ask them and see what they say though.

@floridabobbeckner might have some ideas as well.

I'm looking to establish a relationship with a new shop that is cave/tech friendly in regards to fills.

The shop I used to use went out of business recently.

Pinellas county shops would be a plus. IIRC, there was/is a shop in Largo, FL.

Any help would be appreciated.
I think I know of the shop you are referring to in Largo. I don't use them, but a friend did a little while back. He came back with his HP steels filled to 3000 psi. So I'd skip them. They are real close to me, so I wish they were better.

I primarily use Heroes' in Dunedin. My steels are HP and I always get at least 3600, usually a bit higher. I have no idea what they would fill LPs to, though.

@CuzzA

You might find 3000 is going to be the best you’ll get. Shops in IL and WI that I frequent will only overfill that much, unfortunately. Seems to be common practice from some other parts of the country. Overfill, but not cave fills.

I think I know of the shop you are referring to in Largo. I don't use them, but a friend did a little while back. He came back with his HP steels filled to 3000 psi. So I'd skip them. They are real close to me, so I wish they were better.

I primarily use Heroes' in Dunedin. My steels are HP and I always get at least 3600, usually a bit higher. I have no idea what they would fill LPs to, though.
I've dove with Shawn before on a friend's boat and I believe he said he wouldn't fill past rated pressure. I don't think typical open water shops are going to do what tech diving shops will do.

I'm drawing a blank as one of the fellow local posters here mentioned to me a few years ago about his tech diving shop in Largo was friendly. I can't think of his handle or the shop name. 🤨

I'm drawing a blank as one of the fellow local posters here mentioned to me a few years ago about his tech diving shop in Largo was friendly. I can't think of his handle or the shop name. 🤨
The only one I know of in Largo is Sunshine Scuba on West Bay. That shop has been there for a while but changed hands at some point (not sure if recently) but the name was not changed.

AFAIK Scuba West is the only cave fill friendly shop in the Tampa Bay area.

AFAIK Scuba West is the only cave fill friendly shop in the Tampa Bay area.
Yes. I think I'm just going to have to drive to Hudson for fills now.

I hear Heinerth took back the shop. Paul did my trimix cert. Half hour drive for fills sucks, but I'll just make sure to wait until I have a bunch of tanks to fill at a time.

Yes. I think I'm just going to have to drive to Hudson for fills now.

I hear Heinerth took back the shop. Paul did my trimix cert. Half hour drive for fills sucks, but I'll just make sure to wait until I have a bunch of tanks to fill at a time.

Half hour? Boy, are you spoiled! 🤣😂

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom