Cave Diving Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chad,

Please do not get me wrong, I think your lights look like really well made and well thought out devices. If I were in the market for a new light I would strongly consider one of yours. It is about having the right tool for the job at hand, if I were diving with others who had "turbo flame throwers" I would need a light like yours to compete. In that situation your light would be entirely appropriate.

Mark Vlahos

I use, and most of the cave divers I know run 10W HID's. They light up the cave wonderfully.

My money would go to either Salvo or Sartek. I use both. My Sartek 10w has been super reliable & trouble free, as are Salvo lights. If you can afford the extra cash, I would purchase something brighter than a 10w light, but you won't be disappointed if don't.

If you can do the drive, Wednesday nights is a busy dive night in Redondo Beach. DiveVets and a few other groups are usually doing night dives. You could check most of the brands and wattages. In the DiveVets (.com) group you'll find DiveRite, Salvo, Sartek & Halcyon users. PM me or just show up any Wednesday evening between 6:30pm-7pm at Veterans Park parking lot.

RGist:
What is the best cave diving light?

RGist,

Be sure to look at ours, Green Force. Go to www.mantaindustries.com. Our systems are completly modular and up-gradable, the never become obsolete, they have triple O-rings, sealed batteries (no pop-tops), charging is direct into the battery (no wires to disconnect) rated to 900 feet and are the only light ISO certified. We offer HID (10 and 21 watt) LED and Halogen. Our 21 watt is impact resistant.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks - Greg

PerroneFord:
Best? Can't answer that. There are some EXCELLENT lights out there that seem to capture the majority of this market for one reason or another.

1. Dive Rite
2. Halcyon
3. Salvo

If you are REALLY going to be in cave country, one of these lights should serve you very well. You might also sneak a look at the Green Force light which has some advantages of the others (and some drawbacks too).

Hey PerroneFord,

thanks for the mention :D Just curious on what you think the drawbacks are.

Drawbacks of the Greenforce line:

1. Non-intergrated goodman handle. It's kludgy, and for most bare-handed divers, far too large and bulky. Works great for me because I have huge hands.

2. Failure to have an HID offering between the 21W and the 10w. The F2 canister size is undoubtedly the most popular because it is close in size to the standard slimline canister of everyone else. But the 21w head eats into it terribly, and the 10w is a bit underpowered in some scenarios.

3. Non-adjustable beam on the 10w head and a small reflector. The light quality is excellent though, so no complaint about that.

4. Charging extra for things others don't like a goodman handle (who the heck uses a cave light without a handle? Come on!) and belt loops.

5. Cost. $800 is a steep entry price for a 10w HID. ($731 for the 10W HID, F2, and charger, plus $63 for the handle).

6. Dearth of dealers. I've have yet to see a GreenForce light down here in cave country. Though I do understand the issue of market penetration into this market. It's not easy being the new guy on the block.

I still think you make a great product, and I am happy to have one in my possession now. I talk it up at the dive locales even though I don't sell them.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts.

PerroneFord:
Drawbacks of the Greenforce line:

1. Non-intergrated goodman handle. It's kludgy, and for most bare-handed divers, far too large and bulky. Works great for me because I have huge hands.

2. Failure to have an HID offering between the 21W and the 10w. The F2 canister size is undoubtedly the most popular because it is close in size to the standard slimline canister of everyone else. But the 21w head eats into it terribly, and the 10w is a bit underpowered in some scenarios.

3. Non-adjustable beam on the 10w head and a small reflector. The light quality is excellent though, so no complaint about that.

4. Charging extra for things others don't like a goodman handle (who the heck uses a cave light without a handle? Come on!) and belt loops.

5. Cost. $800 is a steep entry price for a 10w HID. ($731 for the 10W HID, F2, and charger, plus $63 for the handle).

6. Dearth of dealers. I've have yet to see a GreenForce light down here in cave country. Though I do understand the issue of market penetration into this market. It's not easy being the new guy on the block.

I still think you make a great product, and I am happy to have one in my possession now. I talk it up at the dive locales even though I don't sell them.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts.

Hey PerroneFord,

We are always open to suggestions and feedback, thanks.

First, I'm glad you are happy with the system :wink:

To address your comments:

1) We do offer three kinds of goodman handles, an integrated one (the one you were referring to) a low profile one (HID only) and a soft one. We are still going to carry the integrated one, but the majority of the ones people prefer are the low-profile or soft.

2) we are dictated by what HID bulbs are available, that's if right now. the difference between an 18 and 21 is minimal, and 10 and 21 is watt people are calling for.

3) we do offer two different reflectors, 6 and 13 degree. Our 10 watt comes with the 13 but can be ordered with 6. As far as adjustability, it’s not a feature that stops our customers from seeing all the other benefits. Green Force is working on it though.

4) There is still an extra cost for the goodman handles. The belt mounts are now included.

5) Buying a Green Force system may cost more up front, but will save you money over time. Other lights will fail, flood and break. Plus the modular aspect allows you to up-grade with out buying a new system. You will find a plethora of lights on ebay and on SB for sale. People are "upgrading, but have to sell their "old" light first!!! As technology advances either in batteries or LED or HID you buy what you need.

6) We are working on this one :D What I can tell you is the dealers on FL that are carrying Green Force and understand the advantages sell them

Again, Thanks for our comments and support.

Just counterpoint, and I'm done.

1. I am aware of your different Goodman handles. I have the integrated and the soft. The soft I don't care for because switching off hands is a royal pain. I have the same problem with the Dive Rites.

2. The lighting difference between 18 and 21w may be minimal, but the battery time is not. Especially on the F2 canister.

3. Adjustability is a minor concern. But it's certainly a nice feature. I was aware of your different reflectors. I find the 13 just fine for my needs.

4. Glad to see the belt mounts included. I wish the Goodman's were as well, since other's include them.

5. I disagree somewhat that the modularity of the light is a great selling point. Especially for someone looking for a cave light. Anyone who steps in at the 10w HID level, really isn't going to want to move to an LED unless they are just trying to save battery time. And moving to a 21w HID means the light will have to get charged between dives. So to move to a more powerful light head, you need to buy a new canister anyway. I suppose the umbilical can be reused, but then by the time I get your F3 and a 21w head, I could have bought a 21w Salvo.

6. I am glad to see you making some headway. Though you may not make the lights, you do package them. And that is powerful in the marketplace.

Best of luck,

-Perrone

Manta:
Hey PerroneFord,

We are always open to suggestions and feedback, thanks.

First, I'm glad you are happy with the system :wink:

To address your comments:

1) We do offer three kinds of goodman handles, an integrated one (the one you were referring to) a low profile one (HID only) and a soft one. We are still going to carry the integrated one, but the majority of the ones people prefer are the low-profile or soft.

2) we are dictated by what HID bulbs are available, that's if right now. the difference between an 18 and 21 is minimal, and 10 and 21 is watt people are calling for.

3) we do offer two different reflectors, 6 and 13 degree. Our 10 watt comes with the 13 but can be ordered with 6. As far as adjustability, it’s not a feature that stops our customers from seeing all the other benefits. Green Force is working on it though.

4) There is still an extra cost for the goodman handles. The belt mounts are now included.

5) Buying a Green Force system may cost more up front, but will save you money over time. Other lights will fail, flood and break. Plus the modular aspect allows you to up-grade with out buying a new system. You will find a plethora of lights on ebay and on SB for sale. People are "upgrading, but have to sell their "old" light first!!! As technology advances either in batteries or LED or HID you buy what you need.

6) We are working on this one :D What I can tell you is the dealers on FL that are carrying Green Force and understand the advantages sell them

Again, Thanks for our comments and support.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom