cautious OW cert diver w/limited salt water exp going to Ontario Cali 10-23

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maggs_the

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm going out there to visit a friend who does NOT dive but might be talked into bubble watching from a boat... but since he is not a diver, he's of no help finding a dive site or charter or anything. I'm not lugging all my equipment, and I have no experience shore diving in the ocean. I've only been in the ocean twice and both were boat dives (one a 88ft wreck and the other a 30ft coral reef dive).

I may be more cautious than others, but I think I still need a "tour guide" on my dives. I'm a very good follower :god: I've taken the classes (nitrox, Night/Lim Vis, Navigation, UW Photo), but there's just not a lot of practice time 'round these here parts.

I'm looking for suggestions for who to dive with and where to dive.

Check out South Orange County Dive Club at:
http://www.southcoastdivers.com/SOCDC/

They meet and go out as a group to Laguna Beach.
Perhaps if you email them they will take you out.

Otherwise get on the ocdivebums.com list and ask
if you can "tag along" with someone. I'm sure some kind
souls will show you a great time!

Hope this helps,

Another place is www.divevets.com , new divers at all skill levels are always welcome to join us. We do a night dive every Wednesday at Redondo Beach's Veteran's Park (6:30) and dive several times a week at diferent locations.

ICE

If you want to go out on a boat, try a Reefseekers trip. They'll put a DM in the water with you at no charge.

As for beach diving. I'm always the voice of caution here for newbies to diving and expecially California beach diving. Beach diving can be fantastically easy with no surf and glassy water, or it can be fantastically hazardous with high surf and chop. It's not all golden shores and swaying palm trees (well, all the time)

I'd also recommend using southcoastdivers.com, I started beach diving with Rich P a couple years ago, learned a ton. Actually, the best thing I learned was when NOT to go diving. Don't dive down there very much anymore, but beginners are very welcome, MAKE SURE you let Rich know you are a beginner and need a little extra attention. He can help guide you through the surf zone.

Chris

great!!!! thanks for all the input. maybe i'll carry my gear after all :) this sounds very doable now!

Yes,
Maggs, if I have that right, please come out and ask us about local diving off the beach in Laguna. Chris M is totally correct and I will add that beach diving is NOT for everyone. But on those days when it is "Lake Laguna" it will seem way too easy. If you can let me know when you will be in town, I can arrange to have someone there to spend time with you about how our diving works in our area. If it's a day when I cannot be there, I will make sure that someone expects you there, I trust quite a few people in our group to watch over the new people.

Again, as usual Chris, thank you for your kind words, drop me an email offline to this, I have some other things I'd like to tell to you about.

Thanks everyone and Keep diving, safely...
Rich.

RichP:
Yes,
Maggs, if I have that right, please come out and ask us about local diving off the beach in Laguna. Chris M is totally correct and I will add that beach diving is NOT for everyone. But on those days when it is "Lake Laguna" it will seem way too easy. If you can let me know when you will be in town, I can arrange to have someone there to spend time with you about how our diving works in our area. If it's a day when I cannot be there, I will make sure that someone expects you there, I trust quite a few people in our group to watch over the new people.

Again, as usual Chris, thank you for your kind words, drop me an email offline to this, I have some other things I'd like to tell to you about.

Thanks everyone and Keep diving, safely...
Rich.

I'll always answer to maggs.. it's habit, but it's actually Karen. and as soon as I am for sure as to what my friend (who is putting me up for a few days) has to say about me taking a day away and going down under, then I will call Chris at the numbers he's given me and we will go from there!!
because I do have questions.. just dont want to bug you with them if I'm not going to get to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom