Catching Maine Lobster??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubblejunkie

Contributor
Reaction score
I was wondering if it's possible to catch Maine lobster while scuba diving. I live in Florida and catch our spiny's but thinkit would be cool to try and catch the clawed ones.!Thanks

Sorry, Maine does not allow divers to catch lobster. Massachusetts does, but only to residents, and you need to acquire a permit before you can do it. Your best bet to go about catching clawed ones would be to go diving in Massachusetts with a local in posession of a lobster permit. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a volunteer if you do make it up this way. :)

-Roman.

... Seems to call Homarus Americanus the "Maine Lobster", rather than the "American Lobster". Personally I think "New England Lobster" is the most PC...

But anyway... I'm guessing you're referring to diving for American Lobsters, rather than Diving for American Lobsters in Maine.

If the former, than notabob's got your answer; if the latter, than well... "Yes".

I think Spectre may have gotten them backwards... Diving for Maine/American/clawed lobster and catching them - legal in Massachusetts, but not in Maine.

Diving for Maine/American/clawed lobster in general - yes, it is possible and is done all the time, provided it's legal wherever you're catching it.

How's that?

-Roman.

notabob once bubbled...
I think Spectre may have gotten them backwards... Diving for Maine/American/clawed lobster and catching them - legal in Massachusetts, but not in Maine.

:stupid:

Yea.

...but you need a license to dive for lobster in Mass. To get that license you have to either be a resident, or own $5k of costal property in the state.

But, as someone said before...Go diving with someone who has a license and split the catch somewhere down the road. Don't split the catch at the site because the EPOs (Environmental Police Officers) won't take too kindly to a diver without a license in possession of lobster. And, as Spectre knows, the EPO show up at the least opportune times.

And keep in mind that, unlike the spiny lobster in Florida, our American lobster fight back. :monst:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom