Catastrophic loss of gas during air share drill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

piikki

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I do not know the exact definition for ‘catastrophic failure’ but I have now experienced a failure that had it happened to me in less safe conditions - with the experience I have - things could have turned out pretty stressful if not nasty. It also serves as a good reminder to check your gear extra careful every time you change anything or have anyone touch any part of it.

The incident happened in the end of the first dive of the day (in OW). It was the first dive I was wearing a long-hose/necklace reg setup. Buddy and I had rented one setup for a brief dive getaway. Buddy had worn the setup for the previous day, now it was my turn to get it into the water after some dry runs. Neither of us had been diving since early Nov, and since both us had some new bits to our setups, we were reserving quite a lot of time to play around with our stuff to shed off the rust.

The plan was to scout out the day's site for a later dive, then use about 15-20 minutes in the end of the dive for drills. About 35 minutes into the dive we returned to a platform, so I could do more deploy&replace practices, then we’d air share without ascending, do some mask/less drills, and do a final air share on ascent. Things sped up drastically as we started our first air share. Let me add that we both had rental (single) Al80s, and at the moment the incident began my buddy had 1800PSI to my 1700PSI in the tank. Max depth had been 40 feet, we had already done 5 minutes around 20 feet, and the incident started at 18ft.

As agreed buddy signaled OOG. I got the long hose to her, and as I was breathing from my back up, I freed the rest of the hose from under the pocket, and tugged firmly on it to free the rest (?!) We exchanged OKs and I motioned the direction of the swim. Then I looked back at buddy, and I saw things were not Ok no more. She was motioning hectically. I reached my hand towards the back of my head and asked, "WHAT"?? She was trying to sign bubbles, and stupid me asked like "From where"? Like it mattered!!! It was obvious from her expression - and now I could hear it too - I was LOSING AIR rapidly! I grabbed my SPG (the quickest unclip of the day), and I saw that the needle was approaching 1000 pretty fast!!! It was a freaky feeling. I reached my right hand towards the tank but I knew in an instant that no way in the world would I be able to shut THIS valve. The tank had one of those flat plastic knobs, I had been barely able to turn it at the picnic table with bare hands! I waved and pointed to my buddy to shut it. Well, basically I was yelling through my reg for her to shut it.

At this point, she later reported having the irrational panic-approaching thought that “Oh-my-gosh, we are BOTH breathing from the failing tank – we will run out of air in few seconds”. We didn’t know it at this point but the O-ring on the rental long-hose had blown. My tugging the hose was probably the final insult. I was still yelling for her to shut the cursed thing but at the same moment it seems to have finally traveled through our systems that we are both indeed on the emptying tank, and we have to do something else about it!!! My buddy grabbed her rib shoved her octo towards me, and I fished up her primary and basically smacked it to her mouth as she discarded the long-hose. Forget about clipping it back, I let fly away in spaghetti while my buddy finally moved behind me, and started frantically turning the valve. Meanwhile I squeeze my SPG in one hand, and start groping hers with my other hand. Mine reads 500 at this point, and all of a sudden it’s zero. (Btw, it took me quite awhile after the dive to realize I did not drain the tank but it jumped to zero because the valve closed, heh).

I had wondered how hard it is to grab someone under the hog harness in haste if you need to. Well, it isn’t hard at all. We were now doing an air share ascent for real, and my buddy’s hand was under my webbing, and I did not even know when it got there. Forget about the horizontal ascent we had planned for though. We were now vertical but we slowed down, became more aware of the surroundings, and nearly managed to do what we had planned - which was to go up foot at a time. (Buddy was mad at me on the surface though. She was like “Drill’s over and get outta there - what are you slowing down any more!!”)

As we arrived on the surface, there was 1500PSI left in buddy’s tank, and from computer profile we can see that instead of 5 minutes (like it felt) the whole incident took more like 40 seconds plus the controlled ascend on top of that.

Lessons learnt have to be in another post.

Hey piiki,

Sounds like that extra time to try the gear in the water was well spent. Glad you guys/gals are ok.

The long hose setup is beneficial, but there are some things that could be done in the future which i'm sure you have worked out already.

Gear familiarity is extremely important. Was the entire reg setup a rental or did you somehow just rent a long hose for your existing setup? On the same note... you should not have to tug the hose to deploy the tucked away length. You should be able to gently unloop it around the canister or pocket. In my case it is tucked into the harness and does not take alot to deploy.

Also be careful with rental tanks. I rent tanks and always check for bubbles before the dive. I would not rent a tank with a hard valve that is difficult to turn.

Hope your next one goes better,

-V

Vayu:
Gear familiarity is extremely important. Was the entire reg setup a rental or did you somehow just rent a long hose for your existing setup?

We just rented hoses and the necklace, so it was a familiar, reliable (ahem) setup otherwise. That is one of things to take out from this - we had a reg setup we knew performed flawlessly but now someone had 'tampered' with it. We dive Poseidon regs, and hoses for them cost a lot (AND both of us need a different hose too because we have different models), so before deciding on getting them we thought we see if we survive the hose setup.

Vayu:
On the same note... you should not have to tug the hose to deploy the tucked away length. You should be able to gently unloop it around the canister or pocket. In my case it is tucked into the harness and does not take alot to deploy.

This is why it would be good to have someone show you how to do it, right...? I do not think I could have pulled enough to have a perfect O-ring to blow but I certainly would have welcomed instruction. I found it easy to deploy but the hose was very kinked (stored maybe a long time coiled?). Another warning signal maybe?

Vayu:
Also be careful with rental tanks. I rent tanks and always check for bubbles before the dive. I would not rent a tank with a hard valve that is difficult to turn.

The tank I used on that dive was JINXED! Buddy got it for the second dive. We had to abort and swap the tank after bubble check. The damn thing was now leaking from that stupid knob!!! (I wonder if that has anything to do with anything. We know it was not leaking during the first dive). It is hard to refuse a tank if it is the only one offered but I hear what you are saying. One can always at least ask. I was quite surprised to hear how limited the selection was on some of the Fl springs (I see you are from that area).

Glad you're okay, glad you were shallow when it happened, and you were already positioned for an easy air share. Somebody was looking out for you!

I'm very paranoid during the first dive after something's been worked on or changed. I've had an o-ring blow on my long hose as well, but luckily, it did it at the very beginning of the dive, and I just aborted and went in.

piikki:
As we arrived on the surface, there was 1500PSI left in buddy’s tank, and from computer profile we can see that instead of 5 minutes (like it felt) the whole incident took more like 40 seconds plus the controlled ascend on top of that.

Piikki,

Way...to...go! <applause from the peanut gallery>

I gather that this is your first real Murphy moment and you did two things *really* well.

1) you *only* took 40 seconds to sort out and start ascending from a catastrophic failure... That's about the same amount of time than you get in tek training to do the same thing

and

2) You and your buddy both realised that you needed to switch from breathing off the gibbled tank and switched without screwing up.

Well done!

R..

Nice job! I appreciated your desire to make a nice slow ascent - very wise and shows that you were thinking well. The only thing I might Monday-Night-Quarterback you on is, you might have taken the time to stow that long hose. If it had gotten caught on the platform or something else, it might have pushed a manageable event into a cascade into disaster.

Just a thought, and easy to say from my chair. :D

Diver0001:
Way...to...go! <applause from the peanut gallery>

I gather that this is your first real Murphy moment and you did two things *really* well.

Hey, compliment accepted! I am very much in kindergarden category of divers, and yes I have not had quite this type of rush of adrenaline under water this far. Actually, one thing I consider lesson from this incident too is that while I was fairly Ok how we handled it, there is no reason to get too comfy about it either. A lot could have been better.

As we climbed from water for debrief, we of course had the luxury of investigating the cause of the failure, and go through the whole episode a few times. The fact that I started feeling like the incident did not go so bad at all scared the crap out of me later in the evening (exactly when I was going to fall asleep to be exact). It hit me that after the initial rush, I was being way too comfortable with how &#8216;educational&#8217; the event was. It hit me that what if the incident happened the previous day (our first dives after the break) or even in the second dive of that day when we did venture under some ledges&#8230; or simply the other &#8216;what-if&#8217; scenarios I could imagine (real dives done). Next morning our pre-dive briefings seemed to be a heck of a lot detailed again. I do think it was a good time for something like this to happen if it had to happen. It should not have, and one should strive to prevent it from happening again but - oh boy I think - I am a teeny bit more aware what it might be like.

Diver0001:
1) you *only* took 40 seconds to sort out and start ascending from a catastrophic failure... That's about the same amount of time than you get in tek training to do the same thing

Really? I didn't know that. Sure should have been able to cut that time. Like what about first by - start stretching! People on this board constantly argue how important it is to be able to manipulate your valves. I know it is no excuse I had a rental tank with lousy knob but I also know I am really struggling to reach whatever valve I have. I am not a tech diver even though I was trying out a long-hose setup but this kind of thing pretty much makes you convinced that these things do happen during non-extreme dives too. I&#8217;ve been thinking of &#8216;starting to practice valve drills&#8217;. Well, my chance to excel just came and I missed it. It&#8217;s not that we got lucky and had this happen in a very &#8216;educational setting&#8217; either. In this case it&#8217;s still up in the air if we messed up buddy&#8217;s first stage and got water in it (going to the shop today). Neither of us remember seeing the Jetstream purge, so we are quite convinced we had at least 150PSI left in the tank (the guy in the shop messed up with the tanks and filled it before checking if it was empty).

Diver0001:
2) You and your buddy both realised that you needed to switch from breathing off the gibbled tank and switched without screwing up.

Too bad nobody got that on film! Again, in more hazardous situation all of my hoses were dangling all over unclipped after the incident. I had plenty of time after we got the situation under control, and could have tidied up a bit but did not. The fact that we were now air sharing with conventional reg instead of the long-hose put us quite a lot closer, and energy went into controlling the flight but I should have made an effot to clip my stuff back.

I am happy to report though that during the struggle we only lost 5 feet of depth. Considering that it all started at 18ft, I am amazed we did not shoot up to the surface. It's good we did not have any safety stop obligations left because I do admit that monitoring depth was forgotten on the most hectic moments. Maintaining the depth can only be credited to the fact that we started neutral, I was in trance watching the plunging SPG, and my depth gauge happens to be in the same gauge &#8211; and luck. I recall that there was conscious effort maintaining the position because we both kept tugging on each other when we noticed changes (ie we weren&#8217;t oblivious 100% of the time). I wonder too if the fact that we had both had problems with equalization and thus had pretty sensitive &#8216;natural alarms&#8217; had anything to do with it.

Don't feel bad about not clipping off . . . this was your first go with the long hose, right? It takes a while to become facile with the snaps to begin with, and more time to build that (seemingly non-essential) step into the procedure. Which is, of course, why we practice and practice . . .

Rick Inman:
you might have taken the time to stow that long hose. If it had gotten caught on the platform or something else, it might have pushed a manageable event into a cascade into disaster.

Just a thought, and easy to say from my chair. :D

I totally agree. I had all my stuff all over the place, and I wonder if the journey was longer if I had realized that the cleaning day had arrived (I always hated cleaning). We weren't exactly bearhugging even though we were pretty snug, I could have made my stuff a bit safer - the 3 ft long catfish might have snatched up my hose in that place, good grief!

TSandM:
Don't feel bad about not clipping off . . . this was your first go with the long hose, right? It takes a while to become facile with the snaps to begin with, and more time to build that (seemingly non-essential) step into the procedure. Which is, of course, why we practice and practice . . .

Yes it was the first, and I am not the most agile with my fingers anyway. I struggle with the SPG enough. I should have scooped the stuff and secured it some though. there was time. My routine is to try to get everything secured (on surfacing/on beach before getting up) before I proceed to exit on every dive though because I am not the steadiest on my feet and can't afford extra hazards, so at that point things got fastened closer to my flesh again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom