Catalina Sea Camp? (SoCal)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robh

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the summer programs run by Guided Discovery, Inc at the Catalina Island Marine Institute or their summer version Catalina Sea Camp? I'm specifically looking for info on their diving programs for my son, who is eager to get certified. Any feed back from those that have been there on their overall impression of the program and camp is appreciated too.

Thanks!

Rob.

robh:
Does anyone have experience with the summer programs run by Guided Discovery, Inc at the Catalina Island Marine Institute or their summer version Catalina Sea Camp? I'm specifically looking for info on their diving programs for my son, who is eager to get certified. Any feed back from those that have been there on their overall impression of the program and camp is appreciated too.

Thanks!

Rob.

I don't have any experience personally, but a friend of mine was there as a kid and absolutly LOVED it! I have worked for one of their competitors for the last 2 years and I have never heard anything negative about the camp in catalina.
You might send a PM to Archman. He has more experience in the industry than I do, and might have more info on that specific program.

Polly

robh:

Thanks!

Rob.

Rob,

I was certified at Sea Camp back in 1984 and it was a great experience. It is a great place to learn to dive. A good friend sent her kid to Sea Camp this year and I visited on parent day. They have made the program a bit more conseritive that when I was there. They make all non-certified divers participate in a Resort SCUBA class for the first year at Camp. When you come back for your 2nd year you can take the Open water certification. I would recommend that you get your son certified before you send him to camp, and have him take his advanced certification at camp. Hope this helps.

Sean

Guided Discoveries took over the lease for Toyon Bay from "us" (the Catalina Island School) back in 1979. At the time we wondered if they would survive more than a year or two. Fortunately we were wrong. They've done a tremendous job of creating programs that introduce thousands of kids a year to the beauty of Catalina and its underwater world.

My nephew went there within the past few years and absolutely loved it. Now he flies out from Atlanta just to dive the island with me.

I've spoken with many parents who had kids that attended and I have yet to hear a negative comment about the experience. Kudos to Guided Discoveries and CIMI.

I know this is ahem, a bit late, but I actually attended the camp they run in toyon bay for about seven years, with my last year in 2004. It was a great experience, and I am forever fortunate to their program for devolping a love of diving in me as well as introducing me to some fantastic people who I have been traveling with ever since! Myself and a couple of camp-mates are even going to Roatan for two months to get our divemasters next summer.

I believe the program is called "Rugged Adventures" now. They have a few different courses you can choose from. They have 2 SCUBA programs. One is for those who need their C-card and other other helps you get your AOW.

I am planning on taking my Crew in 2009 to this camp once we get a few dives under out belt.

CIMI ( Catalina Island Marine Institute) runs top-notch dive programs and complementary adventure classes. During the summer they are the largest, NAUI dive certification facility in the US, probably the world. They have a HUGE instructional and support facility to make diving exciting and safe. They have their own dedicated dive boat, flat top boats for blue water snorkeling trip and marvelous area around Catalina from which to dive.

Basic scuba diving is as simple as walking down from a hill, going to a dive locker to get your gear and wading into the water which is less than 20-30 meters away. Go to
Guided Discoveries - Catalina Sea Camp for info.

A top-notch facility with kids streaming in from around the world. What they do in three weeks is put out a student product which far exceeds what LDL's can typically create. In fact, the difference in ability is measurable. Having taught there on occasion you can see performance differences between a CIMI trained student, and one who has earned their certification elsewhere.

X

Back
Top Bottom