Catalina Island Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and the photo of the menu at the filling station. Is that photo fairly recent? Nice to see they have HP steels on offer. Your suggestion to not bring our own tanks, is that due to the hassles of transport or the ease of exchanging rentals vs waiting for a refill or both? The map/depths inaccuracy, would you say it's actually deeper than depicted or shallower or both depending on where you look?
For our first time we'll probably want to swim out and descend and try to find the Jacques Cousteau Memorial. Is that a reasonable goal for a first time there on unguided dive?

yep was there last week

The hassle of humping tanks.. I use to bring a 130.. no more.. I use the HP100s. Its easy to swap tanks and get fills just need to make sure you get in line early as there is a limit to the amount of HP100s.

Deeper then the map at least at the edge of the park.

Yes the memorial is not to hard. I don't remember but maybe 20-30'?? Ask the people who are there with the grey scuba van for directions.

Thanks for the info... very much appreciated! I'm going to call CDS today and ask about renting steel HP tanks.

For our first time we'll probably want to swim out and descend and try to find the Jacques Cousteau Memorial. Is that a reasonable goal for a first time there on unguided dive?
Easy-peasy. From the stairs, it's a compass heading of 90º (roughly a 45º angle to the right of the stairs) and is in 35-40 feet depending on the tide. It is just before you hit a rock wall that marks the start of the Pinnacles. It's on an oval-ish rock and sits at an angle facing back towards shore/stairs.
UWP_2513(LR6).jpg

Thanks, Ken! Any other advice for our first trip to the island to do some shore diving at the park?

Thanks, Ken! Any other advice for our first trip to the island to do some shore diving at the park?
Without meaning to sound snarky:
1. Don't over-think it. It's a nice dive day, not a life-changing quest.
2. I'm a big fan of taxi to the Park. About $20 with tip each way. There's a taxi stand when you get off the boat and when you're done at the Park, call them (310/510-0025) and they'll be there shortly. No sense in walking further with gear than you have to.
3. Check out tide times for the dive day. Low-tide entries/exists can be difficult.
4. Rent tanks there. You'd be paying for airfills anyhow so it really only adds a few bucks and when it;s time for a "fill," they simply give you another already-full tank. No waiting (usually).
5. The Park is a very different dive if you go left or if you go right (from the stairs). I divide it into thirds. The left third is fairly open and sandy with some small wrecks and stuff to be seen and is a good first Park dive. The middle third is usually where we see the Giant Sea Bass (50-70' deep) as well as has the Cousteau plaque. The right third are the Pinnacles with lots of rocky outcroppings and the wreck of the SueJac (60-100') at the far end.
6. Bring some food. You can get snacks at the air truck or at the fuel dock (2-minute walk) but never hurts to have something "real" to eat.
7. Bring a jacket/windbreaker. It can get cold at the Park.
8. Talk to other divers who are there before you go in about conditions, what they've seen and where they've seen it, etc.
9. If you can, leave some time for a round of miniature golf at Golf Gardens right near the Vons in the middle of town. Wonderful mini-golf course and a fun way to end the day.

Thanks, Ken! Excellent tips and very much appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom