Question Catalina AL80 Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GAOtter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Was recently on a dive trip in West Palm and rented an airbnb close to Boynton in a guest house. I Was outside washing all my SCUBA gear off since the week was over before I packed it back up and the owner walked out.

Long story short, owner had a stroke in 2009, and was unable to continue diving. He walked out with six AL80 Catalina tanks. Hydro dates range from 99’ to 03’. I got all six tanks for $150. A couple questions for my tank brothers on here:

From my understanding Catalina never made any of the tanks with the bad aluminum right?

The tanks are painted, I’m going to strip them. Catalina has what to use on their website and enough paint is already gone that I’ll probably just use gel citrastrip. Most of the paint is off already, I see very little rust on any of the tanks and the one spot I did see was coming off the with water and a finger. All tanks had at least full or some air in them.

So after stripping, going to have them hydro/tumbled/VIP and replace all the valves.

The big question, I have heard rumors some dive shops won’t fill pre 90 tanks because of the aluminum issue. Should I have any problems with these Catalina? And is there anything else I should be on the lookout for with them? I’ve always dived/owned steel tanks, so I’m not as read up on Aluminum. I figured for $150 for six AL80 Catalina it was a steal? Did I do good or will they be garden ornaments?

Thanks friends.

You’re asking a question that we can’t answer. But I’ll try. :)

As for Catalina and the “bad aluminum“: my understanding is the same as yours. Catalina never made tanks with 6351 aluminum. I don’t have an official reference from Catalina, but here’s some confirmation on a previous scuba board thread: Is my cylinder made from the "bad" alloy aka AL6351?

If Catalina has instructions on their website for how to strip paint, then by all means follow it. Sounds reasonable. In fact, there’s another thread right now where people were talking about what color of tanks to buy, and my and other people’s vote was unpainted! :) A brushed or shot blasted finish is uniformly even and won’t look any worse over time.

You didn’t ask, but I’m going to add: unless the valve is not the type you want, there’s no requirement to replace the valve. If you’re a DIN diver and they’re yoke, go for it. But if your regulators will fit on the tanks, the valves should be just fine. If you want to service them that would probably be a good idea, but there’s no essential need to replace the valves. But yes: Hydro after you strip the tanks.

Now, for the question that no one can answer: will other people fill them? There is 100% no legal reason why anyone should not fill those tanks. Of course, when properly hydroed with a federally-mandated VE test, there’s no legal reason why someone shouldn’t fill the 6351 tanks, either. In other words, whether someone will fill or not fill your tanks is completely at their discretion.

Unfortunately, as you know, the vast majority of scuba shops will refuse to fill aluminum tanks made before 1990. What’s really fun is that more and more shops are starting to age out tanks of newer vintage. I’ve heard of shops saying they won’t fill aluminum tanks that are older than 2000. I’ve heard of shops that will not fill steel tanks made before 1990. Both of those stances are at best ignorant and more likely formed from greedy self interest. Dive shops got hooked on the candy of condemning tanks and selling new ones and want to continue to do so, IMHO, anyway.

So, will you be able to get the tanks filled? You 100% should. There is absolutely no reason why those tanks should not be filled compared to a brand new tank that comes right off the line. But whether you will or not is completely up to the dive shop.

ETA: I guess I should be a little bit clearer with the conclusion. I actually think you will be able to get them filled. I think any dive shop with any level of sophistication and understanding of the situation will fill those tanks no problem. The problem is: there are a lot of very, very bad dive shops, that continue to perpetuate inaccurate information as if it were gospel. And it’s entirely likely that those shops will, against all logic and reason and argument, refuse to fill tanks made before 1990. Period. Unfortunately, it’s the reality of the situation.

I can tell you that I 100% would have bought those tanks and I would 100% have a reasonable expectation of getting them filled at most places.

Catalinas cylinders were always made from 6061-T6, never from 6351-T6.

6351-T6 is susceptible to sustained load cracking (SLC) and what you call the "bad" alloy.

Thanks all for the input. I’m going to go ahead and start the process of stripping them.

I’ll give you a funny story of dive shop shenanigans I encountered which is why I was asking about the fill situation. I have a DIN valve on a steel tank that someone smacked with another tank once, it chipped a small piece on the very top, but did not impact the threads at all.

I did the “right” thing, even though I knew it was good. I took it into my LDS and had them inspect it and service it. Paid the fee, got a clean bill of health on the valve and was told, while it looks ugly, it’s not in an area that would negatively impact anything during fill or operation.

Next LDS would not fill it for anything. I’m at about a 75% “will”fill it and 25% “will not” on it while traveling which isn’t bad. But I just don’t want to have to deal with that with these tanks.

I ordered another valve and keep it In my bucket. Just in case I ever travel somewhere and everyone refuses. They probably won’t be happy when they realize I pull a brand new valve out and put it on myself if they pull it.

They probably won’t be happy when they realize I pull a brand new valve out and put it on myself if they pull it.
Do that in front of them, and they will claim now needs visual.

Long story short, owner had a stroke in 2009, and was unable to continue diving. He walked out with six AL80 Catalina tanks.

This guy seems to have recovered brilliantly maybe it's a stroke I'm in need of as I can only wrap my arms around 4

Have you at all, considered, shopping the tanks around, to your various hydro and fill shops, before you strip these

I'm not really sure how much longer, I mean much of the line is payed out and thinks I'm almost down to the spool
Need more petrol and new batteries

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom