CAT calculation for GUE Fundies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What ATA are you at the surface?
Ohhhh I love playing 20 questions. . . .

1 atmosphere at surface (unless you want to go full metric and talk about kPa)

You don't know CAT?
Consumption * Average ATA * Time

Don't know what PLAN is. Must be part of the new SOP.

I half-exaggerated. There was no CAT when I took Fundies in 2014--it was just called the Minimum Gas calculation without any handy mnemonic--but the new CAT mnemonic was covered when I took Doubles and Drysuit primers in 2016. As for PLAN, this is the first I've heard of it. I still have difficulty remembering all there is to remember during a GUE EDGE. Maybe GUE PLAN makes it easier?

Ohhhh I love playing 20 questions. . . .

1 atmosphere at surface (unless you want to go full metric and talk about kPa)

So if you go from 4 to 1 at a constant rate, what's the average?

No, it is 2.5 ata. At 100' you are at 4 ata. At the surface you are at 1 ata.
Brain fart, apparently too little coffee. . . It's a whole lot less mystical if you just calculate the pressure @ 50 fsw:

pressure = (50/33) +1

Again, that assumes a constant rate of ascent. . .

Brain fart, apparently too little coffee. . . It's a whole lot less mystical if you just calculate the pressure @ 50 fsw:

pressure = (50/33) +1

Again, that assumes a constant rate of ascent. . .
They also assume 10 feet per minute, which is quite slow (and safe). Also, fairly high SAC rates for both divers (though one can argue that under stress, one's SAC can really shoot up

They also assume 10 feet per minute, which is quite slow (and safe). Also, fairly high SAC rates for both divers (though one can argue that under stress, one's SAC can really shoot up
10 minute ascent from 100 fsw ?

Nope. It's only 10'/min from half-depth (five minutes) plus 30'/min from 100'->50' (call that two minutes) equals seven minutes.

To make that clearer. For a no deco dive, ascend at 30ft per minute until you are half way between your average depth of the dive and the surface (for 100ft dive that is 50ft, for a 70ft average depth dive that would be 40ft). From the halfway point ascend 10 feet per min, typically 30 seconds to hold depth, 30 seconds to slide up to the next stop, 30 seconds to hold new stop.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom