Cash for Galapagos Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just bring your ATM card. They use USD as currency.

While the USD is their currency I would not rely on ATMs. They run out of cash, have daily limits, sometimes getting a connection to validate the transaction does not work. Further, the OP is going on a live-a-board. Many people literally go from the plane, to the boat, to the plane. Further, while one can often use a CC, there is a ~12% service fee. Besides who wants to run around trying to find an ATM when there are cool critters to find.

For the OP, we were just there in June we took quite a bit of cash for everything (including tips for two live-a-boards for two people, plus a week on our own). I had a few hundred in my wallet as did my spouse and the rest was "hidden" in a backpack that I just put into an old travel money belt. The funny part is that I had not used that money belt in a really long time as I found two $100 travelers checks from a trip to Peru twenty years ago.

So my recommendation is to distribute the cash and not worry too much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom