Case, Strobe, and Arms for Fujifilm F550EXR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sascha.tietz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey,

I just got a new Fujifilm Finepix F550EXR camera for my birthday and I am loving it! It's a great combo with lots of zoom (since I use the camera above water as well) and takes pictures in RAW (for U/W). Anyway, I saw that Ikelite doesn't offer a housing for this camera, but Fujifilm itself does (WP-FXF500, Waterproof Cases & Marine Items | Fujifilm Global). But I am not sure ...

(a) how good Fujifilm housings are? Friends of mine bought the Canon-made ones for their G12 and now need a new camera since it flooded. :-(

(b) which trays and strobes are compatible with the Fujifilm housings? Their own UW strobe "UW 120" (probably out of production now) got some bad reviews, but I am not sure which other manufacturers would fit.

I am just getting into UW photography, so I don't need the most fancy equipment, but I want a strobe that allows me enough flexibility to grow my skills the better I get at it and that get's the job done. Most diving is in Monterey CA, so visibility is usually not great ... will therefore probably do a lot of macros.

Thanks!!
Sascha

Thanks nudibranco! Did you use an external strobe with it? If yes, which one?

Thanks!

HI,
You have a great resource in Monterey, Backscatter is located in monterey and all they do is underwater photography equipment. I think that any of the housings made with polycarbonate are as good as the operator. There were some issues with some extra plastic in the o-ring groove of the canon housings that caused the leak; but I have not heard of any from other manufacturers. That is the least expensive way to go. www.digideep.com is another source for who makes a housing for your camera.
Backscatter can help you with a strobe. You will need a strobe that has the ability to use a fiberoptic cable and Inon and Sea and SEa are the only ones I know of. Of course our tray and arms will work on any of those housings.

Good Luck
Terry
Ultralight Control Systems
Ultralight Control Systems

Back
Top Bottom