Carthaginian- Worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

czervos

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone dove on the wreck of the Carthaginian? Is it worth the trip? It seems like a lot of the dive operators don't do that charter too frequently, is there a reason for it?

Thanks,
Chris

Lahaina Divers has a regularly weekly scheduled charter to the Carthaginian, as far as I know they're the only ones who DO regularly schedule.

We've done the Carthaginian once, and honestly we both feel like "been there, done that, don't need to do it again". The boat has a bit of marine life on it, there's usually a resident frog fish, but other than that, there's not that much to see. Some folks really enjoy the dive, so it's impossible to say whether or not YOU'LL think it's worth the trip.

Go for it, you'll likely enjoy the dive and then you'll know what you think!

If it helps here are some pics and info on the site from when I last dove there. Aloha Shore Divers

I found the masts to be the most interesting feature - the hull is pretty much hollowed out, so very little structure there. I have done this as a shore dive 3x now and with good scooters (ie ones with at least 1.5 mile range) it's a fun shore dive. I guess you could swim out, just head toward the buoy marker on the surface (you can just barely see it from shore if you look hard) and then drop down ... just remember it's .57 miles off shore, so it's a long surface swim.

As mentioned above LD does a charter there, though might check with Extended horizons and see if they have a planned trip there any time during your visit -

Have a great time on Maui :)

Aloha, Tim

Hawaiian Rafting Adventures used to have a regularly scheduled trip in the afternoon one day a week to go there and the Manta Cleaning Station... not sure if it's still on the books.

*IF* you do it from shore, be VERY mindful of currents... it can get pretty wicked around there and I've been on a few different boats where that was the plan, but it got changed as we were approaching because of the currents.

Also: I've done it once and would LOVE to go back at any time...

I did the Carthaginian with LD a few years ago. I enjoyed it, my only complaint being that we spent too little time at the wreck.

Has anyone dove on the wreck of the Carthaginian? Is it worth the trip? It seems like a lot of the dive operators don't do that charter too frequently, is there a reason for it?

If there were customers banging down the door for this dive there would be many operators doing it often. It its a cool dive but there are many, many cooler dives on the play list. Divers will do the Lanai sites, the Molokini sites and the South Maui sites over and over, year after year, often multiple times on the same trip.

The Carthaginian is a good dive on it's own but unless you are into rare fish photography a couple times or once every 2 years is the norm. I know divers who would jump at the chance to go again and again, just to try for a better shot of the Flame Wrasse. And believe me shooting pictures of Frogfish is a hair pulling ordeal so likewise I know divers who ache to go back for another chance at a better Frogfish picture.

I rarely take my wide angle lens off so I like the "charm" of the old twin master, and there is the Atlantis Submarine Tour which comes by during the dive on occasion. Your best chance to go is during a heavy tourist time; like the holidays. As far as time of dive goes, if you are willing to pay a little more Extended Horizons can provide you with either 36% 80's or big air tanks and computers. Even with air 80's most divers manage a 20+ minute multi-level dive.

Last edited:
Oh, that's a gorgeous picture, and brings back great memories.

Was just there earlier today with LD. Of note were three big frogfish (I'd say roughly the size of a cantaloupe, a softball, and another softball) on one of the masts (one of them even moved) and some sort of shrimp hanging out on the other mast, plus the sub was circling around us/the carth a few times. My housing leaked on an earlier dive, otherwise I'd post pics/proof (they were really huge watermelon sized frogfish :crazyeye: - j/k, but seriously, they were pretty big frogfish).

Like halemano said, not really at the top of the list IMO, but if you have the time it can be intereting. Granted, every dive's different.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom