carrying pony bottle and oct reg as spare air...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

birdwrasse

Contributor
Reaction score
when i bought my aqua lund lx legend, i got a free aqua lung legend octopus regulator... it's a nice regulator; $219... i was thinking of buying a first stage regulator, a pony bottle, and use is as a back up... i already have a sec stage reg on my bcd...

questions:
--where do i carry it?
--who uses back up air sources?
--is it worth it to spend $200 on the bottle and 1st stage reg?

any other feedback would be great!

thanks,

--carlos

Hi Carlos.

I am not opposed to pony bottles when used for the right purpose. In fact, I used two 40cf stage (pony) bottles on my last dive. However, in my opinion, the use of a pony bottle for standard recreational buddy diving is not only unnecessary, but potentially hazardous. The tendency is to carry too small of bottle, and to feel a false sense of security from it. There are also additional skills required for the use of the bottle.

For standard recreational buddy diving, a good buddy is a far superior alternate gas source.

I would keep the extra 2nd sage for a backup or sell it.

Others will disagree with me, but I'm right. :D

Just MHO.

Rick

Rick Inman:
Hi Carlos.

I am not opposed to pony bottles when used for the right purpose. In fact, I used two 40cf stage (pony) bottles on my last dive. However, in my opinion, the use of a pony bottle for standard recreational buddy diving is not only unnecessary, but potentially hazardous. The tendency is to carry too small of bottle, and to feel a false sense of security from it. There are also additional skills required for the use of the bottle.

For standard recreational buddy diving, a good buddy is a far superior alternate gas source.

Just MHO.

Rick

IMHO, Your wrong:D
I have been diving with a pony 7 years and do not dive without it. It saved my life once because of a failure in my primary 1st stage and may again. It is used only as a emergency air source to get me to the surface period. Get at least a 19 cuft and practice using it.

Up here in the PNW with the poor vis your buddy can be 5' away looking somewhere else and you not be able to get to him in time. Most my dives are no deco dives and the 19 is plenty. If I do deco then I have travel bottles I use [30 & 40]. But never use a pony to extend your bottom time.
Just my 2 cents worth.

The pony debate is a long running one and pretty hard-line points of view on both sides.

The answer to your question is what sort of diving do you do and can you forsee yourself needing a redundant gas source? Do you have a regular buddy that you trust? Do you have good buddy skills?

A bailout tank is essential if you are in the habit of solo diving. Its a good thing if you ice dive also. For regular no-stop recreational diving to 100 foot its unneccecary IMO and for deeper dives you really should be using doubles.

Incedents have been caused by ponys, so they are not a panacea - just a tool that can be misused or exactly the thing you need.

If you have not felt the need for one so far what has changed? (Other than the freebie 2nd stage?)

Chris

thanks guys... good feedback from all sides... where do i keep it when you're diving? strapped to my body, somehow? hanging?

--c

stunaep -

The 2 most common ways to stow a pony are (1) to mount it on your tank\next to your tank or (2) sling it under your arm, clipped to your BC. You'll find arguments for both sides.

Option 2 is the method that most pony divers seem to prefer. There is a lesser chance of entanglement. You can more easily monitor the tank for pressure \ leaks. You can easily unclip it and hand it off to an OOA diver.

I use a pony on anything I can get off the bottom with out air about 50'FSW
that said I clamp mine on my tank,long hose it with a bungee to the tank air on! and now have its 2nd stage reg on a necklace under my chin,oops and I take off my reg Octo as it is just one more failure point off my main tank.
This works if my main system fails,
If a pals fails I can pass the hose & reg or whole tank off with one snap,
pony's are a big troll area and I just use my 30 cf for a easy back up.
I would sling it but find it hard to shoot video with it on my side.

I lost a good pal on a OOA dive accident with instructors on the dive! That said you must be able to save yourself!
and after that the pony was with me,how ever you chose to do it use one or use other redundant options,I cant do the doubles to the weight restrictions on my knees
Dive safe,
Brad

Rick Inman:
Hi Carlos.

Just MHO.

Rick

This is garbage. A buddy is more relaible then an independent redundant life support systemt? Most recereational divers have been buddied up with a diver that turns out to be completely worthless, even on a normal recreational dive. Heaven help you if you must rely upon the same type of fool to save your life in an emergency.

What special training is required? Mount the damn thing (there are many practical options), practice using it once in a while on the last ascent of the day is all it takes.

Remove the octopus from your primary reg and hang the pony bottle reg from a necklace around your neck. It is simple and safe.

A 13 or 19 cu-ft tank should be fine for standard, no-deco recreational dives.

Indicating that a pony bottle is hazardous to a recreational diver is just plain silly.

dumpsterDiver:
This is garbage. A buddy is more relaible then an independent redundant life support systemt? Most recereational divers have been buddied up with a diver that turns out to be completely worthless, even on a normal recreational dive. Heaven help you if you must rely upon the same type of fool to save your life in an emergency.

What special training is required? Mount the damn thing (there are many practical options), practice using it once in a while on the last ascent of the day is all it takes.

Remove the octopus from your primary reg and hang the pony bottle reg from a necklace around your neck. It is simple and safe.

A 13 or 19 cu-ft tank should be fine for standard, no-deco recreational dives.

Indicating that a pony bottle is hazardous to a recreational diver is just plain silly.

I could of not said it better!
IMO
Brad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom