Carrots in my boiled peanuts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have family in North Carolina. I was first introduced to boiled peanuts there. I love them. In the south you can buy them pre-cooked and canned. Here is California I have often ordered them online and cooked them at home. I'd say fifty percent of the people that try them don't care for them. You can add just about any dry spice you want but the best way is just salt. You can freeze them and defrost/heat them when you want. Goes great with a beer or two.

enjoy.

Do carrots add to the flavor?

They sell boiled peanuts at these road side stands just to suck in the Yankee tourist. I don't believe anyone form the South really eat them. When ever a Yankee stops by and buys some the owner and the rest of the clan goes into the back room and laugh until they pee their pants.

I was one of those Yankees. I went on a snipe hunt too when I was a kid.:)

benncool:
They sell boiled peanuts at these road side stands just to suck in the Yankee tourist. I don't believe anyone form the South really eat them. When ever a Yankee stops by and buys some the owner and the rest of the clan goes into the back room and laugh until they pee their pants.

I was one of those Yankees. I went on a snipe hunt too when I was a kid.:)

you are trippin'

AevnsGrandpa:
I have never had something as bland tasting and nasty looking as boiled peanuts in my life.

Oh, and I don't like crawfish either!! (I'm a wimpy northerner!!)

Jeff

Wrong spice mix! Band has nothing to do with boiled peanuts around here.

Start with a 60 Qt pot and cajun boiler. Fill halfway with water, add 1 bottle dry Zatarains crab boil or Tony Chatcheries seasoning, add 1 pound ground dry cayenne or 1 cup crushed Savina Red peppers in brine, and another pound or so of salt. Add fresh peanuts in the shell to fill the pot (30 pounds or so). A SST plate cut to cover the basket and hold the nuts down in the soup is a good thing. Tossing in a few whole Garlic cloves and a few onions are a personal choice.

Bring this mess up to a slow boil, cover and hold at a simmer for about 12 hours, adding water as necessary to keep them covered. Once done decant and prevent them from drying out.

Once the nuts are cool enough to pickup dig out the beer or long island iced tea chasers and dig in!

BTW The boiling tea is an ideal fire ant extinguisher if poured over a hill while it's still hot. The heat kills the ants and the pepper keeps them from coming back.

FT

Carrots? Never heard of or seen such a thing. I have seen them in big jars of Jalapeños, but never boiled peanuts.
Now if I'm gonna use Rex's or Zatarain's, I want shrimp, crab or crawdads. Peanuts just need salt.
Rick

Been off the site for a while. You're right Rick, lots of salt and the occasional frosty adult beverage. That was a first for me. I've seen the "cajun" style p-nuts around at several places over the years, and the flavor sort of reminds me of the Tony Chatcheries (love that stuff on anything). Leo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom