Carribean Explorer Theft at Sea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

domino22

Contributor
Reaction score
Just got back from one of my dive club meeting's tonight. They had just got back from a week long trip aboard the Carribean Explorer, and I am booked on this boat this fall. Was told by two people that one was ripped off of $200.00 he had left his shorts with wallet hanging on the door knob of his cabin. And one lady lady had lost $150 from her purse left in her cabin. They think it was a customer who was on the boat for two weeks and did not dive allot. Anyone else have this problem or was this just a one time thing? I will bring traveler checks and keep them locked up.

dear domino22,
i've been on the caribbean explorer as well as half a dozen other liveaboards.
what you have just posted surprises me.
one reason i like going on those type of trips is that you're with other divers that just want to have fun and don't want any security concerns.
looks like even the more popular liveaboards now have to be wary of dishonest guests.
i'm hoping that this is just a one time thing.
regards, smokey

Hey, you just never know. This is an excellent argument for traveler's checks and locking your luggage to boot. I stayed at a bunkhouse/BB type place a few years ago in Florida and the owner's son was crawling into the bunkhouse and filching money out of wallets while the guests slept. It got to the point, before they went out of business, that the guests in the bunkhouse were sleeping with their wallets in their pillowcases.

Lets see....book a $2000 liveaboard to rip off $350....sounds like a deal to me!

Otter:
Lets see....book a $2000 liveaboard to rip off $350....sounds like a deal to me!
Well I agree with what you say but you never know. And they also said they thought it could be him but they had no proof. So who knows the money was still taken. Hey just for thought look at that actress who got caught shop lifting!

Otter:
Hey Otter. It gets better. At the lake today I found out one of the instructors from the trip lost $150 to $200! Maybe someone was able to pay for their trip this way? Not sure about the others yet still asking.

Sorry, some how I double posted.

Have you considered the posibility of a dishonest worker, say the person(s) who make up the rooms while you're diving? No one would question them if they were seen coming out of a room they didn't occupy.

Maybe they were collecting their tips in advance.:) Since they do make a large portion of their income from tips if they're not making that good of money it may give "some" an incentive to steal. Just something to think about.

At any rate you should all report it. If others on prior trips have reported the same that would certainly narrow it down to if it was an employee or not and make them alert that they have a problem. JMHO.

As this seems to be a one time/trip complaint and not an epidemic I don't see any justification for blaming a crew member. Yes, the steward(ess) would not get questioned if seen coming out of a guest's room, but all the more reason not to steal, as that person would often be the first suspect. If the victim believes that it was another guest I'm sure they have reason for such a claim.
I wonder why the victim(s) did not mention the theft while they were on board the boat when something could have been done about it. Think about that.

LASA:
As this seems to be a one time/trip complaint and not an epidemic I don't see any justification for blaming a crew member. Yes, the steward(ess) would not get questioned if seen coming out of a guest's room, but all the more reason not to steal, as that person would often be the first suspect. If the victim believes that it was another guest I'm sure they have reason for such a claim.
I wonder why the victim(s) did not mention the theft while they were on board the boat when something could have been done about it. Think about that.
They did not know they had been ripped off till they got home. Not all their money was taken so they did not notice what was taken,from what they told me. Plus they thought it was a customer but could not prove it. As you said if this was a common problem they The Carribean Explorer would have heard about it and taken some type of action.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom