Carribbean wetsuit recommendations - get cold easily

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll weigh in for the 5 mil plus beanie. the hooded vest can be a take along, but you will enjoy the diving more if you don't need it. Also, remember you will need to adjust your weighting substantially when you change exposure suit, so be sure to do a good weight check.
DivemasterDennis

I'm like you -- I get cold very easily. I can't dive anywhere in a 3 mil suit (got cold in 86 degree water in the Red Sea). I HAVE found that a good hood makes a big difference, and a 5 mil suit is better than a 3 mil. But if you are thinking of going all the way to a 7 mil suit, I have one piece of advice:

DRY SUIT!

I dive dry everywhere now. Everybody else gets on the boat and runs around looking for towels and hot drinks. I get on the boat, unzip my suit and step out of it, and go pour myself a Coke. I love tropical dry suit diving!

Since you were cold in a 3mm 3mm which is 6mm over the core I would say go with the 7mm. If you get a 5mm and then a hooded vest you would be close. I think you really need to think about a hood and gloves. You lose most of you heat through your head so what ever you do get a hood you will warm up a lot with just adding a hood.

I'm like you -- I get cold very easily. I can't dive anywhere in a 3 mil suit (got cold in 86 degree water in the Red Sea). I HAVE found that a good hood makes a big difference, and a 5 mil suit is better than a 3 mil. But if you are thinking of going all the way to a 7 mil suit, I have one piece of advice:

DRY SUIT!

I dive dry everywhere now. Everybody else gets on the boat and runs around looking for towels and hot drinks. I get on the boat, unzip my suit and step out of it, and go pour myself a Coke. I love tropical dry suit diving!

I agree. Dry is the only way to go if you want to be warm and comfortable.

I ended up trying a 5mm first. By the second dive I was too cold, so I added a 7mm hood. With the hood, first dive of the day I was fine, halfway through the second dive of the day I started getting cold, and third dive I was pretty cold but I could do it. Most of the divemasters wore 5mm with hoods also and one wore a 7mm semi-dry. My computer read 81 and 82 at depth. If I go again, ideally I would bring a 7mm but the 5 with hood worked okay. I tried to find a good chicken vest, but those things are so hard to get on and off that I decided against it.

I ended up trying a 5mm first. By the second dive I was too cold, so I added a 7mm hood. With the hood, first dive of the day I was fine, halfway through the second dive of the day I started getting cold, and third dive I was pretty cold but I could do it. Most of the divemasters wore 5mm with hoods also and one wore a 7mm semi-dry. My computer read 81 and 82 at depth. If I go again, ideally I would bring a 7mm but the 5 with hood worked okay. I tried to find a good chicken vest, but those things are so hard to get on and off that I decided against it.

Two words "Fusion One". Probably the same or less money when you figure in all the different purchases of wetsuits.

I would say go with a separate hood, plus the 5mm, plus a spare vest. Would also suggest full booties, too,

Also, I'd suggest eating some nuts before you go. They metabolize slowly, and give plenty of "fuel". Also, some caffeine products will limit your circulation, so if you can stand it, lay off the coffee and colas. Also, don't shed too quickly between dives. Peeling off a wet garmet during your surface interval will also cause rapid cooling.

Back
Top Bottom