Trip Report Carpe Vita Real Time Review: March 7-18, 2021 Trip to Maldives Deep South

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who is the dive lead and who are the other guides please?

My DM is Chakku. The other 2 DMs are Ali & Naathi.

I don't think that I know them.

Zina is not the dive leader on this trip?

Is the captain Edem?

This is awesome! I'm going to be doing a similar trip in a month, so very excited to hear your experiences and get excited about diving again! Did you spend a night in Gan on the way in? How often do you have wireless signal?

This is awesome! I'm going to be doing a similar trip in a month, so very excited to hear your experiences and get excited about diving again! Did you spend a night in Gan on the way in? How often do you have wireless signal?

I arrived Gan around 5pm on Mar. 7. Gan is in the southern part of the Addu Atoll. We sailed a bit to the northern side of Addu Atoll & spent overnight there.

We got wireless signal whenever we were near Atolls. So far we had no signal when we sailed from Addu Atoll to Fuvahmulah (~ 3 hours) and from Fuvahmulah to Maareha, Southern Huvadhoo Atoll (~ 5 hours).

Dive 9 was at Nilandhoo Kandu, another reef hook dive. We saw more Reef Sharks in the blue.

This time the current was too strong & broke the coil wire off my reef hook. I flew off to Chakku. He managed to grab my BCD and gave me time to grab on a handhold crevice with my left hand (as the right hand was holding my camera). I hung on to the hand hold until zero NDL. He then retrieved my reef hook from the rock & we went flying off the ridge to the channel (Kandu), where we also got into a whirlpool & up/down current. What a crazy dive. I’ll post my dive profile in the later trip report.

Went we were back on the Dhoni, there was another diver had broken reef hook line & another diver with bent reef hook.

Bottom depth was 93 ft (28 m) with 49 minutes of dive time.

How prevalent is reef hook use in Maldives diving? It's my understanding it's prevalent in Palau; hadn't heard about Maldives.

I downloaded my Dive 9 (#949) profile from Shearwater Teric to iPhone 11 Pro Max via Bluetooth and record in text here since I can’t upload the graphic file (picture) due to weak wifi signal.
Time (min) Depth (ft)
0. —- 0
2. —- 93
27.—- 93
32.—- 38
33.—- 57
34. —- 47
36. —- 55
37. —- 20
38. —- 46
39.—- 14
41. —- 25
43. —- 16
47. —- 16
49. —- 0

How prevalent is reef hook use in Maldives diving? It's my understanding it's prevalent in Palau; hadn't heard about Maldives.

It is regularly used since the Atolls have a lot of open channels, straits between islands, where current would funnel through.

The actions are on ripping current through the channel with clear blue water. Visibilities were > 100 ft.

We are not allowed to wear gloves. So, bring your reef hook & pointer when you go diving in Maldives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom