Carnival vs. Royal Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

segundo3000gt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm trying to get a small group together to do a scuba cruise. Does anyone have any comments on Carnival or Royal Caribbean? It seems like Carnival is cheaper. Reviews I've found online hint that the service and food is better on Royal Caribbean. Any help would be appreciated.

I went on a Carnival cruise to the Caribbean, enjoyed it immensely
I do hear that of all the cruise lines Carnival has a younger clientèle

what did you think of the pool area? were you able to get away from kids if you wanted to? was there enough to do on the ship?

I went on 3 cruises so far. The first on Norwegian Wind in Hawaii. It was very good.

The last two were Carnival Miracle out of Tampa (to ports of Belize, Cozumel, Costa Maya, and Grand Cayman), and Carnival Destiny out of San Juan (to USVI St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, and Antigua). Went diving in all the ports. There were all great.

The food on Carnival Miracle was quite good, even better than on Norwegian. The food on Destiny was not as good, but we still feel pampered.

We didn't spend much time at the pool. But do expect kids in the pool during non-school times. There is a smaller adult only pool, that did not see a lot of people.

have you thought about a liveaboard? - thats a real scuba cruise ...

what did you think of the pool area? were you able to get away from kids if you wanted to? was there enough to do on the ship?
Heh .. I did not think that "I" would ever see myself on cruse .. filled in when friend had her partner drop out at last minute ... I had a blast!
Every night we were up late, watching the shows, live Los Vegas type shows, chorus girls. magic, all great fun ... was most fun I've ever had .. and .. I did my first, intro dive, in Roatan! , most fun thing I did on the cruise .. my friend dived almost all our destinations (Roatan, Cozumel, Grand Cayman) and had a wonderful time ... we have memories that will last a lifetime

A liveaboard will get you much more diving (just got back from one to the Dry Tortuga's)
but you would be hard pressed to get as much pampering, and variety of things to do, on a liveaboard, as you do on a cruise ...

have you thought about a liveaboard? - thats a real scuba cruise ...

My wife and the other two couples are not divers. They do come snorkeling on my diving trips. A liveaboard gets lots of diving, but little else. In St. Thomas, I got two great dives, then we went touring the island. Went to Mountain Top, Drakes Seat, etc., then ended up on Paradise Point, before getting back on ship. It was like that on all our port stops. Two-tank dive/snorkel combo, followed by land tours. You get to see/do a lot more. You can't do that on a liveaboard. There are also so much more you can do on a cruise ship.

Generally Carnival cruises are the lowest in price. I didn't find the cruises to be inferior to Norwegian. Perhaps the service and food is better on other cruise lines, but I already felt so well pampered on Carnival. It's very good value, and I don't feel the need to spend more, to get more pampering.

I've done both lines. Royal is a little fancier overall, cabins a little nicer and the food is a little better but Carnival is also very nice. Mind you, Carnival is very nice on it's own and I don't think you'd be disappointed. If the price is close I'd go for the Royal over Carnival. And, as DB said, Carnival does tend to have a younger clientèle due to the lower price.

I did enjoy the Carnival Cruise I went on, the Fantasy, but I found it always "going". It never seemed crowded but it did seem that people were everywhere you went, which may not be bad for some people. I enjoy going out and living it up, but I also enjoy quiet time without being surrounded by to many people. A plus of this is that there is always something to do and always food to eat (ie midnight buffet:D)! I found the food very good and nothing to complain about, but have had slightly better food on another cruise line. The same goes for the service. I think Carnival is taylored more towards families with kids and young people. Overall there was nothing "bad" and you would certainly enjoy it. I have never been on a Royal Caribbean cruise, so I cant comment on it.

A live aboard sounds great to me! One day, one day!

I have only been on Carnival. It was a nice cruise ship. Always something to do. Stops seem so quick especially if you are trying to get some diving in. Food is good. Didn't notice many people in the pool. I have heard that Royal Caribbean is really nice.

If this is a vacation with nondivers and divers, then Carnival is a fun and inexpensive trip. If you are looking to get lots of dives with dive buddies, try a liveaboard. I always love the experience and food on liveaboards!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom