Carnival Valor Mar. 6th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Starting in Belize. My two oldest kids and I went snorkeling on the Shark & Ray trip. Way cool. If you don’t absolutely have to dive Belize and/or have not done one of these type trips, then this is highly recommended. Tons of Sharks & Rays, very friendly, got to feed, hold, touch, caress, and look eye-to-eye with them for about 45 minutes. The reef snorkel was painful, because I wanted to be down there close to the reef, not just above it looking down. Perhaps the best part of the day was lunch afterwards at Caye Caulker. Quaint little village on an island near the preserve. Food was OK, but wandering down main street and into the shops was tres cool. The fresh OJ is to die for; they grow oranges for export, and the juice was better than anything I have ever had. It was exquisite for a OJ fan. We booked through Coral Breeze, and I would recommend them, although there are a bunch of others. The boat was good, fairly fast, and comfortable. Several people took the airplane version, and enjoyed the views almost as much as the snorkeling. My wife, Jen, and youngest kids did the cave tubing, along with 600 other guests. Though crowded, Jen gave it a big thumbs up. The divers who went in Belize said that it was a good tour. The dive op was very good evidently, and they were picked up at the ship, so they bypassed the pain of getting off the ship. I saw some pics from that trip a little later, and they echo’d some of the comments about the sparseness of the reef life. Everyone I spoke with said they would do it again…

Unfortunately, the weather was rough for the day in Cayman, and the port was closed. I missed out on diving with Neptunes Divers, but want to go back and use them again. They were nothing but professional and courteous.

Roatan was a disappointment. We had booked through Subway after having dove with them the past two years, with exemplary results. We had dove Mary's Place, Fish Soup, Freighter Wreck, and two walls just off Coco View that were incredible.
So, we were very interested in diving with them again, signed up in Dec. looking forward to visiting Roatan the most of any port. My two daughters and son were diving this time, so this made four; my wife and younger son were going to snorkel with them. We agreed to a three tank dive day visiting the Prince Albert wreck, Fish Soup and with one shallow (20'ish) dive to end, if the computers said OK. I have an email that covered it all, and mentions that the four of us were going out on a boat by ourselves.

No one from Subway mentioned until we arrived that they were kicked out of their old location near Cocoview at Christmas time, and found a new home further north and east. Less attractive neighborhood, trash everywhere... The real problem was the location being too far from the best dive sites. So, we show up on time (8:30 AM), pay, and get some equipment. Then we wait. No one mentioned that we were now waiting on five other divers and that we were all being crammed onto their small boat. So we waited. Did I mention that we waited? And, it was hot? A catamaran comes in, picks up about 50-75 snorkelers, then departs, and we are still sitting around. At ~10:00, the other divers arrive. They were staying on the island, and had dove with Subway the previous few days. It takes them a while to suit up, then we finally get moving.

Where to go? The DMs mentioned two locations that I had never heard of, and one of the other divers sat up and said that they had already dove one of them twice. And, could we go to <someplace cool>? Nope, too far away!!! I mentioned to the DM that we were scheduled to visit the freighter and Fish Soup. Nope, too far away. Another diver asked about Mary's place. Nope, too far away. All paying customers lean back and sighed disgustedly. So, we cruise about five minutes off shore and hit a wall. Nice wall, but almost anywhere in Roatan is nice. Short dive (one of the others tanks started at less than 3k). So, after dropping us off, the boat moves about 50 yards and drops off my wife and son to snorkel 50 feet above the wall in rolling surf!!!!! But, OK, we head back in for our SI and the snorkelers are done for the day. 30 minutes later, similar discussion, similar results. In fact, we hit the same wall, just further down. So, for our two tank dive, we dove one wall for 75 minutes. BTW, the rental regs breathed very wet and one BCD leaked a touch. My daughter wound up a little sick from drinking seawater through the reg and skipped out on the second dive, leaving my wife to dive the second undistinguished trip out.

Perhaps the expectations were too high, but the service was mediocre at best, careless/distracted is a better term. I would say that it was easily the worst dive op experience of my diving career. And, it wasn't just our family. The other divers were a bit peeved, too. Very frustrating...

It would have really cast a pall over our cruise, if not for the incredible diving in Coz with Liquid Blue. For all the problems that we experienced with Subway, LB was exactly the opposite. Exceptional service, great boat, only 7 divers on a fairly large boat, great dives. They use steel tanks (120s for my son and I, and 100s for my wife and daughter), set up everything just perfectly. Being a picky diver about my equipment, I went over our setups and was impressed that Jorge even pulled out a DIN-yoke adaptor to install my reg on the yoke tanks. He didn&#8217;t make any derogatory comments about our BP&Ws even putting the wings and STAs on for us without asking.

The dives&#8230; WOW! The current was very low due to a storm passing by, so we got to dive part of the Palancar caves on the first dive that is not usually on the agenda. We started down, glided through the caves (wow, so cool!!!), through lots of fish (almost a Fish Soup Lite!), by a couple of rays, a couple of sharks in the distance, a huge sea turtle just overhead, another just below on exit <open mouth, slobbering, mumbling in ecstasy>. At the bottom (115 FSW), we turn left (south) and continue up through ridges and coral heads. Tons more fish on the way back up. Jorge led us through the dive very efficiently, and pointed out the high lights. Best dive of my life!!!

Second dive was on the mine sweeper wreak. Max depth 77, but we were down for almost 45 minutes. Again, Jorge led us around the ship (upper section only), &#8216;twas way cool. As you passed through the doorways, the rooms were filled with silver dollar type fish by the millions. In one room, they were grouped around a large, evidently predatory, fish, as the schools formed a liquid sphere around the larger fish leaving him in foodless void. &#61514; Great way to end the trip & the dive. Michaela and the LB crew were tremendous; will definitely use them again.

All in all, a trip to remember. Some highs, some lows, but lots of fun. For future Valor cruisers, have a ball; it is a great ride&#8230;

Jerry

Diver Girl,

Would be curious as to your thoughts on the Valor's decorations after having been on Conquest. Some of the colors were..., well, bright :11:

jerry

Jerry,

Well, I did get to see some pictures of the Valor, including the hot pink/brown dining rooms. I don't know, call me crazy, but I like the change. The Conquest was beautiful and conservative. I like the idea of them challenging the norm and taking a decor risk! I will let you know what I think though once I see it in person.

Oh, and thanks for the report on Subway. We have decided to go with someone else based on your review.

lostboy:
No one from Subway mentioned until we arrived that they were kicked out of their old location near Cocoview at Christmas time,

Jerry

Jerry

Aren't they located in Brick Bay?

Chuck

chuck e:
Jerry

Aren't they located in Brick Bay?

Chuck

I don't know exactly where they are. Their new location seemed to be in the direction of their old one, but after a few twists & turns <shrug>. Their old location was in French Harbor, I believe, just around a neck from Cocoview, which was near perfect.

What struck me was the trash in the water around the cove. Just incredible...

Jerry

Chuck,

Yes they are located in Brick Bay now. Also, I just found out that instead of meeting divers at the dock, you are to go over to a little hut across the street and they will call Subway to come and get you.

Hi Chuck...we will also be on the carnival valor may 1. We are diving all 4 also. Neptune Divers in Grand Cayman, Scuba with Alison in Cozumel, Subway Watersports in Roatan, and we're doing the dive with the ship in Belize. There are 4 of us diving...Pam, Steve, Terry, and Jake. Maybe we'll see you there. I can't wait....YAHOO!!!!!

Pam

We decided to use West End Divers in Roatan instead of Subway Watersports due to all the bad reports about them. A friend we'll be with have dove with them before and said they were fantastic!!! Hope it works out.

I'm sooo excited about this trip...it's sooo close and yet sooo far away!!!

Pam

If your cruise takes you to GC give fisheye scuba a call. We used them on our cuise in March. 3 dives, 4 divers on the 2 morning dives and only 2 of us on the afternoon dive. $125USD tanks and weights. Great boat captain/DM. No worries/problems. Long bottom times, no problem with surface interval. WAY BETTER than booking with Don Fosters through the Cruise ship shore excursion desk.

My wife and I are diving with a local dive op that we have used before. Looking for up to 3 more divers who want to go. We will be diving at 11am with nitrox. Will be diving the palancar caves and santa rosa wall back to back. No shallow dives! If interested email me at pikes1000@aol.com There is room for up to 3 more divers and price will probably drop if we get more people. It is $90 which includes 2 nitrox tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom