Carnival Legend December 2-9

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

medicjack

Registered
Reaction score
We just booked this cruise this week (Cozumel, Roatan, Belize, Grand Cayman) and have a few questions. We have completed our PADI OW and are trying to get our AOW done before the cruise.

Should we take our own equipment? We are working on buying the basics....BC, Reg, gauges and already have the mask, fins, snorkel. We want to own our own gear anyway so are not just buying it for this trip.

This will be our first diving trip obviously. If we have completed the courses above should we be ok for the trip? My main concern is having a group of 4 of us on the dive boat with little experience other than the classes. I don't want our inexperience to interfere with others that might be more advanced.

I guess I should also mention that our instructor is coming on this trip as well....

thanks,
Jack

My son and I took all of the gear we had at the time when we cruised last summer. By the time I went on the next cruise, I had pretty much all of my gear and I took it. If you pack everything down enough, I don't think you would have a problem from the cruise lines for excess bags. We never have.

As far as experience, just be aware that Cozumel can have some pretty strong currents that can be kind of intimidating to newer divers. I know my son and I were kind of stressed with the amount of current we encountered on Santa Rosa wall. Just make sure whoever you dive with knows your experience level beforehand.

The best dive shop we used was Barefoot in Roatan. They really made us feel relaxed and we dove at a really leisurely pace. Those guys are first class and I hope to dive with them again really soon.

You will have to tender into the port at Belize and Cayman. They don't have a dock for the ship to use, so they anchor in the bay and individual smaller boats come out to the ship and bring cruise passengers into the port. We haven't dived Cayman, but did dive Belize. The fact that you are more limited in time/access to the dock when you tender into port, we used the cruise ship to book the dive in Belize. The ship will see to you getting to your excursion when you do it that way. I've only dived once in a port that we tendered at and I booked that trip through the ship just to make sure I had plenty of time and wouldn't get left.

All of the other dives, I booked directly with the dive op and saved a ton of money on. Our stops were all about 8 hours, so we had plenty of time. Good luck and I'm sure you guys will have a blast. I would just search the internet for dive ops at your ports and communicate with them. I'm sure many cater to dive ships and can answer a lot of questions.

We just booked this cruise this week (Cozumel, Roatan, Belize, Grand Cayman) and have a few questions. We have completed our PADI OW and are trying to get our AOW done before the cruise.

Should we take our own equipment? We are working on buying the basics....BC, Reg, gauges and already have the mask, fins, snorkel. We want to own our own gear anyway so are not just buying it for this trip.

This will be our first diving trip obviously. If we have completed the courses above should we be ok for the trip? My main concern is having a group of 4 of us on the dive boat with little experience other than the classes. I don't want our inexperience to interfere with others that might be more advanced.

I guess I should also mention that our instructor is coming on this trip as well....

thanks,
Jack

To bring or not bring your equipment is your personal choice. If you're diving with a dive operator that can't supply you with quality rental gear you probably shouldn't be diving with that dive operation as that's a big red flag. If you want to lug it all around and save the rental costs then bring it, if you want to travel light and don't mind spending a few extra bucks on renting gear then leave most of it at home. I'd bring the mask and fins, the rest is up to you.

As for being 4 of you with little experience, that's pretty much what ends up on cruise ship dives. If it's not newbies, it's usually somebody who hasn't dived in 10 years. You'll be in similar company, there will be plenty of divers using air up quickly, bumping into each other, having trouble descending... etc... Most cruise ship dive operators know what they will be dealing with and plan accordingly, limiting where they go to the gentler dive sites and dumb down pretty much everything to the weakest link diver.

There is the rare exception of ending up on a dive boat taking advanced divers and you get dragged along to something that will be over your head. Remember your PADI limitations based on your dives and experience, ask questions and make sure the dive briefing jives with your comfort level, if not speak up and don't be scared by peer pressure to say no to a dive. Also don't expect all dive masters to treat you all like pampered guests and watching out for your safety, it will likely be the case, but it's not what you should expect. As a certified diver you are now 100% responsible for your own safety and being capable of managing the entire dive from start to finish without help.

First...This is a great dive cruise. We did it in 2011 and are repeating in 2013. You will have a blast.

Second....Everybody above has given some really good advice. Especially about considering going with indepent dive operators so you can have them tailor to your experience level.

Third...if you have your gear and are comfortable with it...take it...one less worry with a new experience...some operators have great equipment but others seem a bit worn...so we always take our own and just dry it on the balcony between dives.

FYI...since your instructor is with you ya'll might have fun doing the shore dive in Grand Cayman at Sunset House...its easy to get to and lets you guys set your own pace and get in some nice inexpensive diving at a nice reef. Not to mention they serve a great grilled Mahi-Mahi at the bar for after ur dives.

Have fun...when are ya'll goin? We are going in Feb.

On Roatan the cruise operator is Anthony's Key Resort. In December there could be rougher weather on the north side where they're located. I was there once and noticed that all the cruise divers went on the same boat - they segregated cruise divers from the resort guests - so the site chosen was probably for the least experienced. (that might be you...lol) It's a 1/2 hr. shuttle to the resort. Someone posted recently that AKR moved a boat around to the south side for their cruise dive, IDK if that's normal now or just weather related.

Instead I would book with Barefoot Divers or Subway Watersports - both do cruise programs. Barefoot works out of Barefoot Cay resort nearby. It's a small resort and not everyone that stays there is a diver so your group may be their business that morning - our group of 7 was - thus they can cater dive sites to your needs. One of our dives was the Prince Albert off Cocoview, maybe the best shallow wreck on Roatan. Your instructor may want to dive Mary's Place just off their property, it's the signature Roatan (advanced) dive. It really is valet diving. And they have hot showers/lockers for you to use. Also newer ScubaPro rental gear if you don't get yours in time. barefoot divers|day dive packages|cruise shippers|full valet service

The other advantage is they're a 5min. cab ride (costs extra) from the cruise port (Mahogany Bay) on the south side so shouldn't be affected by weather. It's divable even when the north isn't. Also, order lunch, the food is excellent on an open-air patio with views to the water just off the dive shop. If you have non-divers with you, the reef out front of the resort has a breakwater with a shallow, natural lagoon just off the resort beach. There's kayaks also - and a pool.

Subway will pick you up free at the cruise port so they may be the best deal, I've no experience with them. Roatan Shore Excursions - scuba diving - snorkeling - kayaking

On Cayman, the cruise operator is Don Fosters. They're downtown with larger boats so you're more likely to be in a larger group. Welcome to Don Foster's Dive Cayman They'll still break you down into groups of 8/DM but you might contact one of the other local operators instead as many are 6-8 diver max operations - most with larger boats - so 4-5 of you being the majority can request shallower sites.

Lobster Pot Dive Center downtown books 2 good operators, Wall to Wall or Deep Blue Divers. From Deep Blue's dock you can see your ship so there's not much chance of "missing the boat". Deep Blue is only going to take 6 divers max so you may have their boat to yourselves. Also you'll have time in Georgetown before tendering back. The Lobster Pot Dive Center Grand Cayman - Located in Sunny Cayman Islands - one of the few dive centers with our own dock on the west side, with Cheeseburger Reef, just a short swim from our shore

As new visitors to Cayman, I'd skip the Kittiwake dive. It was recently put down so there's not a lot of growth on it yet. It is an easily penetrable wreck - there's big holes in the sides, but you'd be limited to the upper 3 decks. Several years from now it may really be something. The better diving off Cayman is the wall diving. Stingray City is another option, depending on your time in port, you might be able to do that in the afternoon after 2 morning dives - we did both one day (shore based) and were done by about 3pm. Many of the operators keep a boat in the sound - some transport you there in a van.

Even though it's the Kittiwake website, here's a list of many of the other CITA dive operators if you want to contact some of them directly: The Official Website for the Kittiwake Shipwreck - Home

Thanks everyone. Still shopping for gear. We are going December 2nd.

So wondering how your dives were from the Legend? We go on her in Feb. Which dive ops did you use? Would you recommend them? Thanks

We had a great time diving during the cruise. In Cozumel we ended up doing a shore dive from a local shop because we had one person that still needed to complete his skill checkoff with our instructor. Was not much there to see and after that we spent time at the beach.

In Roatan we used a local company called Scuba Roatan. Was about a 25 minute ride from the boat and they made those travel arrangements for us. Pretty small diving boat but diving was close to shore and we would definitely use them again. Their were 6 of us and we had the boat to ourselves. I would definitely dive with them again.

SCUBA ROATAN - Experienced and Professional Dive Center in West End, Roatan, Honduras

In Grand Cayman we dove with a company called Off The Wall Divers. They picked us up outside the cruise terminal. These guys were great!! I would highly recommend them and we are already planning a trip back to dive with them. They were very helpful to our set of new divers and we picked up some great tips. Again, we made it a private charter so it was just the 6 of us on the boat.

Grand Cayman Dive

We bought new equipment and took with us so we did not use any equipment from either operator but it looked like they had very good equipment we could have used. Again, this was our first "real diving" experience but we had a blast. Our instructor seemed very pleased with them as well.

Hope that helps!!

Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom