Caribbean Explorer - Saba, St. Kitts, Statia liveaboard.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PeaceDog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Has anyone done this trip? I'm scheduled to do it in February and have a few questions.

I did it two years ago, before they got the Explorer II. It was outstanding. I have some friends who did Explorer II last May and they loved it too.

Could you elaborate on what you and your friends liked about the operation? Come on....don't be shy.

The reason I'm asking is because I am leading a trip aboard the Explorer II this February and I'm hoping that I will be able to enjoy the biggest luxuries of livaeaboard diving: unlimited dive availability and unchaperoned at that.

I have heard from folks who've posted trip reports that many times dives woul get cancelled if the divemaster was too tired or if folks wanted to go ashore, and I've also heard they were very militant about diving policies.

As a novice u/w videographer, I'm hoping to be pointed in the direction of some good shots but mostly given the freedom to spend as much time as I'd like on my hobby, regardless of what other divers on the boat want to do. I'd like tofollow my own plan and, within recreational guidlines, meet everyone back at the boat.

I could care less about food or amenities. As long as there's a place for me to sleep and I can get in the water, I'm happy. (This probably comes from being a New England diver.)

Any thoughts?

PeaceDog:
Could you elaborate on what you and your friends liked about the operation? Come on....don't be shy.

The reason I'm asking is because I am leading a trip aboard the Explorer II this February and I'm hoping that I will be able to enjoy the biggest luxuries of livaeaboard diving: unlimited dive availability and unchaperoned at that.

I have heard from folks who've posted trip reports that many times dives woul get cancelled if the divemaster was too tired or if folks wanted to go ashore, and I've also heard they were very militant about diving policies.

As a novice u/w videographer, I'm hoping to be pointed in the direction of some good shots but mostly given the freedom to spend as much time as I'd like on my hobby, regardless of what other divers on the boat want to do. I'd like tofollow my own plan and, within recreational guidlines, meet everyone back at the boat.

I could care less about food or amenities. As long as there's a place for me to sleep and I can get in the water, I'm happy. (This probably comes from being a New England diver.)

Any thoughts?

Hi Peacedog,

Did you end up taking your trip in Feb? If so, would you mind posting a trip report? Looking at liveaboards myself and any input is helpful.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff:

My Caribbean Explorer trip was fantastic. It was a 5-star vessel with a 5-star crew. Other members of my group had done liveaboards all over the globe and told me that I have been spoiled by this staff.

Bacchus, the senior instructor and divemaster, was absolutely fantastic. He runs a tight platform and still manages to keep it incredibly fun. The new Captain was just coming on during our run, and he (Bob) was fantastic as well. The chef was a young girl who was still getting used to cooking for that many people in such a confined space with limited resources, but I think she did a good job. Cabin staff was attentive and accomodating, and the pursor Amie was an almost jane-of-all-trades who never had anything less than a smile and kind words.

Everyone on that boat - with the exception of the chef who had never dove in her life - were exceptional instructors and divers. I was very, very impressed. Bacchus and Noah knew exactly where everything would be hiding in every nook and cranny if it was to be found. Many of my best video ops were as a result of their eyes and experience. We all more or less expect that out of our dive leaders, but we don't always get it, now, do we?

I thought the reefs on all three islands were in incredible shape, on par with what I've seen at other marquee destinations. Unbelievably healthy. There weren't huge schools of fish and large solitaries, but there was plenty to film, let me tell you. The Windward Islands fauna aren't particularly shy, and since there's virtually no fishing pressure (about 95% of Saba is Marine Park), the animals haven't acquired a healthy fear of humans. As a result, you'll get a lot closer to stuff you wouldn't in other locales.

Here's a link to one of my group member's photos. This will give you a really good idea of what to expect.

The conditions, on the other hand......mixed bag really is the best way to put it. I don't think there was a day we had better than 80' of vis. The average was somwhere around 50-70', and by the end of the day on the night dive you could count on it having dropped to about 20' as a result of strong winds and currents that were, at times, Costa Rican. This is not a trip for new divers, in my opinion.

I had an excellent time and I'm actually hoping to finalize plans later in th eyear to go back down, provided the same crew is on board. Anyone wants to go, let me know.

PeaceDog:
Jeff:

My Caribbean Explorer trip was fantastic. It was a 5-star vessel with a 5-star crew. Other members of my group had done liveaboards all over the globe and told me that I have been spoiled by this staff.

Bacchus, the senior instructor and divemaster, was absolutely fantastic. He runs a tight platform and still manages to keep it incredibly fun. The new Captain was just coming on during our run, and he (Bob) was fantastic as well. The chef was a young girl who was still getting used to cooking for that many people in such a confined space with limited resources, but I think she did a good job. Cabin staff was attentive and accomodating, and the pursor Amie was an almost jane-of-all-trades who never had anything less than a smile and kind words.

Everyone on that boat - with the exception of the chef who had never dove in her life - were exceptional instructors and divers. I was very, very impressed. Bacchus and Noah knew exactly where everything would be hiding in every nook and cranny if it was to be found. Many of my best video ops were as a result of their eyes and experience. We all more or less expect that out of our dive leaders, but we don't always get it, now, do we?

I thought the reefs on all three islands were in incredible shape, on par with what I've seen at other marquee destinations. Unbelievably healthy. There weren't huge schools of fish and large solitaries, but there was plenty to film, let me tell you. The Windward Islands fauna aren't particularly shy, and since there's virtually no fishing pressure (about 95% of Saba is Marine Park), the animals haven't acquired a healthy fear of humans. As a result, you'll get a lot closer to stuff you wouldn't in other locales.

Here's a link to one of my group member's photos. This will give you a really good idea of what to expect.

The conditions, on the other hand......mixed bag really is the best way to put it. I don't think there was a day we had better than 80' of vis. The average was somwhere around 50-70', and by the end of the day on the night dive you could count on it having dropped to about 20' as a result of strong winds and currents that were, at times, Costa Rican. This is not a trip for new divers, in my opinion.

I had an excellent time and I'm actually hoping to finalize plans later in th eyear to go back down, provided the same crew is on board. Anyone wants to go, let me know.

Thanks for the trip report Peacedog. It looks like I may have finally made a decision for my April trip...90% sure that I will be going out on their sister ship in Turks and Caicos. If they run the operation half as well as what you described, I'm sure I'll have a great trip. I'll let you know what I finally end up doing.

Let me know next time you head out on the Explorer II, maybe I'll join you.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Latest issue's feature article: very extensive and informative report in typical Undercurrent "undercover" fashion. Subscribe or find someone who has it!

(If you haven't checked that newsletter/"chapbook" out, you owe it to yourself: while expensive, it's been the source of many an important, trip-making/breaking piece of info.)

peterjmaerz:
Latest issue's feature article: very extensive and informative report in typical Undercurrent "undercover" fashion. Subscribe or find someone who has it!

(If you haven't checked that newsletter/"chapbook" out, you owe it to yourself: while expensive, it's been the source of many an important, trip-making/breaking piece of info.)

Hi Peterjmmaerz,

I checked out Undercurrent and decided I would subscribe online. Unfortunately when you subscribe to the online version you have to wait up to three months before all of the articles are viewable (this is what the site says although I tried looking at articles from Oct that were still unaccessible). My mistake was paying for the full year.

Was there anything critical in there that I should know?

Thanks,

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom