Caribbean Conditions in December?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katdb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Everyone!

I tried doing a search, but the search doesn't seem to be working for me, so if this type of question has already been asked I am truly sorry.

I will be diving this December in the Caribbean (Grand Caymen, Cozumel, St. Thomas, St. Maarten) and I am trying to decide between wearing a 3mm shortie or my henderson hyperstrech 7mm core warmer. I've only ever been in the beautiful hCaribbean waters in May, do the dive conditions fluctuate that much during the year?

I'm a woman, 5'5", ~120lbs and I become cold fairly easily. In Canada with water temp ~58 degrees I wear my 7mm hyperstretch full suit, 7mm hyperstretch core warmer, hood, gloves & boots to keep warm (you should see how much weight it takes to get me to sink :11: I get a week's worth of exercise just lugging my gear around :D). Last In the caribbean, again around May, I wear my 3mm shortie and would get a bit chilly. may in Bermuda (I think the water was around 70) I wore a 3mm full suit and I was freezing, my lips literally turned blue by the end of the second dive.

Thanks so much for any help you can offer!
Katdb

Hi Everyone!

I tried doing a search, but the search doesn't seem to be working for me, so if this type of question has already been asked I am truly sorry.

I will be diving this December in the Caribbean (Grand Caymen, Cozumel, St. Thomas, St. Maarten) and I am trying to decide between wearing a 3mm shortie or my henderson hyperstrech 7mm core warmer. I've only ever been in the beautiful hCaribbean waters in May, do the dive conditions fluctuate that much during the year?

I'm a woman, 5'5", ~120lbs and I become cold fairly easily. In Canada with water temp ~58 degrees I wear my 7mm hyperstretch full suit, 7mm hyperstretch core warmer, hood, gloves & boots to keep warm (you should see how much weight it takes to get me to sink :11: I get a week's worth of exercise just lugging my gear around :D). Last In the caribbean, again around May, I wear my 3mm shortie and would get a bit chilly. may in Bermuda (I think the water was around 70) I wore a 3mm full suit and I was freezing, my lips literally turned blue by the end of the second dive.

Thanks so much for any help you can offer!
Katdb

The book says 3 to 4 degrees cooler then ie 78ish vs 82+......but...........there are tongues of cooler water that come and go ie one March we're on Roatan(usually go every June and December) when it was 76 degrees.........no way to predict but I'm thinking the 7 mm is overkill..I've never dove over a 2 mm shortie over skins with a 2 mm chicken hooded vest...........have over 700 between Cozumel & Roatan, mostly Roatan......plus that 7 mil's going to be a bear to pack/bring......good luck......

You just got some good advice, and now after posting, you can see the "auto search" on the bottom of this page.

You gave a good description of your body and its reactions, but I'm going to extrapolate and guess you're diving while on a cruise. This would mean that you would do well not to rely on Rental Gear. I think you'll be too cold in your shorty and the 7mil is way overkill. I'd say a 3/5 or a 5/7 would be an ideal intermediate suit for you to acquire.

Maybe wear the shortie (if it fits snugly) over that 3mil. Did you own/buy one of those 3 mils?

Buy a "beanie", it will go a very long way to keeping you warm- something about 85% of heat loss u/w is through your noggin. You have to have one of these: http://www.terrapinwetsuits.com/accessor.htm

Last Christmas, I dove around Isla Mujeres (which is relatively close to Cozumel). The water was 78 degrees, and the two ladies I dove with became cold in their 2/3mm shorties.

I'm going to agree with Roatan man. You'll probably want a full suit - it'll keep you warmer and provide more protection against things that can sting. a 3 or 3/5mm full suit should do you right, based on past experiences.

I have a 7mm arctic wetsuit and I wouldn't even think about taking it to the Caribbean. Overkill.

I have dove in Puerto Rico and Aruba from Christmas-New Year's. The water was 81-82 degrees. I was fine with a 3mm full suit for single tank dives. I do not know about the western Caribbean.

jsl

In St. Thomas the waters usually run anywhere between 78-80 degrees. I'm around the same size you described and I wear a 5 mil. I have a 7 mil and wear it when the waters get colder. I don't believe in getting cold. If you don't own a 5 mil, your 7 mil is not that out of range. I would bring both, the 7 and the shortie. It's not like you're gonna be too warm.

Have fun diving!

It's not like you're gonna be too warm.

Sorry, but I beg to differ on that one.

I get cold pretty easy. I don't wear less than a drysuit in Canadian waters.

In Maui in Nov. the water was 78. I found when doing multiple dives in my 3mm full I was a little chilly, so I tried my 5mm one day. It was ok under water, but on the surface, and getting in and out of the water, I thought I was going to die from overheating. I couldn't wait to peel it off, much like when wearing a drysuit on a hot summer day here.
I think I'm going to save my 5mm for surfing on the west coast! lol

Seriously, in Jamaica in January I wore a 3mm full and was fine. Actually, at 82 degrees, and with only 1 dive at a time I was ok in the 3mm shortie.

I find wearing boots with my fins keeps me warmer than bare feet in full foot fins.

Bermuda isn't the Caribbean, and at 70 it's probably colder than anything you'll encounter on your trip south. I'd personally leave the big bulky 7mm at home.

I tried a beanie, and although it does seem to keep my head warmer, I found that it didn't stay on well. I personally think a vest with a hood would probably be a better addition (to a 3mm full). Hoods just seem to fit better, plus you get a little extra core warmer.

Thank you all so much for your help. I definitely have a lot to think about!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom