Careful about Bali Coral in Tulamben, or any cheaper dive shop for the matter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mulratt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Not sure about the name but they're the one facing Tauch Terminal on the beach.

I signed up with them because it was really cheap at $65 for 3 dives, and their rooms were a good price too.

The first day went pretty safe, and when the DM mentioned going inside the wreck, I did caution him that it was unsafe for a beginner like me. He reassured me that the wreck was widely open and that we could pass through. Indeed there are some very big openings where there is no ceiling so it was fine.

On the second day, I was with another instructor, and I guess I did not warn him the same way, but he took me in very narrow spaces. There was a point where I said, I'll go another way, but he gestured me in and I obliged. I'm just a beginner but I know that it can get very sharp on wrecks and it's dangerous for me to go in there.

That being said, these local guides are terrific at spotting stuff. I've been in the Komodo prior and my guide there did not find as many interesting things (and TUlamben certainly does not compare to Komodo). They pointed out at least 30 nudibrach, 3 octopuses, squids hidden under sand, and all of the sort. In the end I'm still happy I got the individual attention, but the warning stands.

Looking back I should have refused to go inside the wreck. Then again, as a beginner I should not have dived in Komodo either.

Welcome to SB Mulratt. Sounds like you learned a valuable lesson--that YOU are the one responsible for your own dive safety. Guides are there to show you what they think you want to see, period. (Though they do know their tips are reduced if they don't come back with the guest!). For a beginner to be diving Komodo or even the Liberty wreck, yeah--I can see warning about that. To lead with "Careful about...any cheaper dive shop" though is ignoring YOUR responsibilty in this matter.

Don't mean to sound harsh but please, don't lull yourself into thinking the dive ops are responsible for your safety or sense of well being. Well, your last paragraph is the critical one. Divers do need to know their limits and comfort zone and dive accordingly. Sounds like lesson learned though, eh? Again, welcome to SB! // ww

I think the guides (DM/instructor) are just trying to please their customers, if you had bad buoyancy problem, I doubt that they would have led you into the cave.
Personally haven't challenged the "wicked" currents of Komodo, glad you made it.

While I don't post a lot, I do read much on these forums and see a lot of similar posts like mine. And yes, I fully espouse SB's beliefs that as a certified diver I am responsible for my own safety.

About Komodo, I ve read plenty of accounts here of beginners complaining about the current and the respective thrashing by more experienced posters. This post is a review of a dive shop, not a warning about the Komodo. I knew the risks well before doing that one and I certainly don't regret it.

In the spirit of imbuing responsibility in readers though, I think your replies are quite needed.

Thanks for taking the time :)

Yes I thinks so probably the DM just tried please they costumers, for Komodo, if you goes to Komodo with LOB normally the will divide into 2 groups. advance diver, and beginner diver.

Well there are DC which don't go below 30 meter and do like you die on 31 meter and than there are the others.
Maybe the instructor guided already 1000 people thru and there is no risk.
Maybe he did not and you are the unlucky one.
My opinion is: Every dive must be discussed in detail before.
They who restrict divers are the worse....

I just came back from Tulamben and dived the Liberty a couple of times. It's a very nice dive and there are many things to see. The guides are usually good in spotting things as well as in watching safety. I did go to the Germany place Tauchterminal though. It's a save and nicely run operation.
We did have a diver who was on 40bar after 22min. The guide shared his air and the group made a save exit. Yeah, I was a bit pissed about the length of the dive. However thinking about safety and that the guide has the responsibility for all of us, he made the correct call: we went to shallower waters and spent about 20min between 7-10m. he shared the air the entire time with the guy and we went up when he was at 50bar after about 40min.

It all depends on the quality of the guide. A responsible guide, who has expert knowledge of the wreck, is able to do a risk assessment for their divers during the progress of the dive. When the time comes for penetration, they will have a fair idea whether it is safe for the diver or not.

In an ideal world, you should be able to trust their judgement...about the site/wreck and your capabilities. However, we don't live in an ideal world...and the existence of too many irresponsible diveguides... makes 'trust' a bad thing to rely upon.

From what the OP posted, I don't see any major issues... but then, I wasn't there. Regardless of anything else, a diveguide must respect the decision of the diver concerned. No means No.

Back
Top Bottom