careers and training? no experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ruaris3

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi everybody! Im 20yrs old stuck in a part time job i hate. Ive been looking into diving for the past year or so but am really struggling to find any careers or even ways to get my foot in the door(apart from paying £25,000 for a course or joining the army). I have no experience but am willing to travel and take up any vacancies possible that would lead to a diving career. I would love to get into commercial diving although wouldn't mind getting into other areas. It would be amazing if someone could give me some help with where to look for jobs, training, courses....Im basically looking to get my foot in the door and take it from there.
Thanks alot, would be really grateful for any help!
Ruari

The military is a good place for a young person to get a start in life. They'll teach you, clothe you, house you, feed you and a whole lot more. Remember, the military has lots of different jobs...every position isn't necessarily shooting a rifle.

There are a number of commercial diving schools with good placement records. I am familiar with one here in the US but I am sure there are many more on the planet. Search on line. Also, in the recreational area, most full time work is affiliated with either a manufacturer of equipment, marketing their stuff, or with a retail outlet in sales and training and teaching. Many shops will provide subsidy or discounts for training to the instructor level and beyond. Resort positions tend to turn over a lot, but some people stay in the same place for a few years or more. I have found the same true with working liveaboards. Lots of turn over. Don't over look getting captains credentials. Driving the boat pays better and there is in my observation less turnover. Good luck whatever direction you go!
DivemasterDennis

The military is a good place for a young person to get a start in life. They'll teach you, clothe you, house you, feed you and a whole lot more. Remember, the military has lots of different jobs...every position isn't necessarily shooting a rifle.

I had two friends who joined the USAF. Never flew a plane, but actually was trained in communications and when they got out heavily recruited by some major firms because of the skillset they had. Same thing with my nephew. USAF was after him hard because of his IQ and chosen field (astrophysics). And even though the .mil may not give you the immediate skills your looking for, they will provide you with a lot of other skills companies want (leadership, responsibility, etc). I was never able to join (I'm a heap of medical issues) but deep down feel the military would have instilled a lot more discipline in me that what I have now.

how do you know if you even like diving? perhaps be sure of that before pursuing a career

I know a few commercial divers around here and they really don't do any rec. diving. One got out of it because it kind of reminded him of work to much.

What you're asking is far too broad. What do you want to do in the diving industry? Certainly there's a more reliable living in commercial diving, but then you generally will want to be a welder or some other trade that you'll combine with the commercial diving aspect in order to do a job under water.

It might be more fun to be a recreational instructor, but that's a far less reliable living.

There's always fringe angles to take on it... if you have a knack for camera work or electronics, supporting film efforts for instance - or as others have mentioned, driving a boat. Perhaps working as a compressor mechanic.

Saying that you want to get into "diving" is a bit like saying you'd like to get into "electronics". A touch on the broad side.

I know a few commercial divers around here and they really don't do any rec. diving. One got out of it because it kind of reminded him of work to much.

Not sure if I got your point right, I am interpreting it as saying that it is fine to want to pursue a career in commercial diving irrespective of whether or not you like diving.

I agree, I generally don't like writing web pages for fun after doing it at work all day although, I would find a different line of work if I didn't like building web applications. So, if someone didn't enjoy diving, I can understand why they wouldn't be a rec diver, but I don't understand why they would want to be a commercial diver.

Not sure if I got your point right, I am interpreting it as saying that it is fine to want to pursue a career in commercial diving irrespective of whether or not you like diving.

I agree, I generally don't like writing web pages for fun after doing it at work all day although, I would find a different line of work if I didn't like building web applications. So, if someone didn't enjoy diving, I can understand why they wouldn't be a rec diver, but I don't understand why they would want to be a commercial diver.

Well, just saying from people who I know who are Commercial divers, a few of them started off as rec. divers. They got out of Rec. because the last thing they want to do on their vacation or days off was to blow bubbles for fun. I LOVE cooking, but when I was a cook, usually, on my days off, last thing I wanted to do was cook *laughs*.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom