Carbon Monoxide Under Pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RRedd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am a former smoker. I quit about 2 1/2 years ago. EEven though i quit i still hear my smoker buddies say that they wish they could smoke underwater. Then the discussion came to mind that the smoke could become toxic under pressure. My main focus was that you could get carbon monoxide posioning or some other type of posining from many of the other toxins from a lit ciggarette. So for the purpose of this discussion smoking at depth will be deemed true (Only for this discussion). Know of any other possible side effects? Or factors that would affect the process (besides the ciggarette staying lit)? Do you know of any studies that the Big Ciggarette companies have done about this topic, if any? I could not find any on the net. Just wondering...Thanks....

I don't know of any studies, I do know that some divers who were smokers and saturated in Hydrolab used to sneak out to the underwater phone booths for a smoke, it didn't seem to kill them.

Hello Thalassamania:

The carbon dioxide generated in a hyperbaric environment is from a chemical reaction. The overall pressure does not change the amount. The fact that it is burning in an increased-oxygen atmosphere might generate more CO per puff – but it would burn fast and be done with.

Dr Deco :doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom