Car rental in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I must have had the same truck, Runnerchic! Ignition moved, torn to shreds, no tailgate left. Sounds like my POS

I must have had the same truck, Runnerchic! Ignition moved, torn to shreds, no tailgate left. Sounds like my POS

sure does! Did you end up getting your money back? After reading all the great reviews of Telerin on here I was so surprised at the condition of the truck! Glad we managed to get one elsewhere!

You guys have me totally spooked now.

I am beginning to plan our trip for summer 2013, have rented from Telerin in the past, and intended to do so again. Mainly because the pickup-dropoff was sooo easy and convenient and I never got any carp about "damage" from Poppy - unlike previous rentals from AB and Everts. The Telerin trucks were never new and usually beaters, but also never total POS's as yall describe. And that was just fine with me.

I guess things have changed and I'm going to have to re-think... But dang, picking it up and leaving it in the parking lot is just so easy...

sure does! Did you end up getting your money back? After reading all the great reviews of Telerin on here I was so surprised at the condition of the truck! Glad we managed to get one elsewhere!

I'm going to find out when I get home. I'm still on vacation (island hopped to Aruba).

I'm not worried about it at all. If poppy didn't process a refund then I will report it as fraud. Either way is fine by me.

---------- Post added December 28th, 2012 at 06:11 AM ----------

You guys have me totally spooked now.

I am beginning to plan our trip for summer 2013, have rented from Telerin in the past, and intended to do so again. Mainly because the pickup-dropoff was sooo easy and convenient and I never got any carp about "damage" from Poppy - unlike previous rentals from AB and Everts. The Telerin trucks were never new and usually beaters, but also never total POS's as yall describe. And that was just fine with me.

I guess things have changed and I'm going to have to re-think... But dang, picking it up and leaving it in the parking lot is just so easy...

From what I understand most places will do the pick up and drop off in the parking lot if you request that in advance. I know that Caribe said they would when I spoke to them.

Also check to see if the place you are staying has an affiliation with any car rentals.

I had a similar experience with Telerin. We rented two trucks earlier this year... one had a flat tire, crappy brakes, a VERY high clutch and webbing (only 3 of 4 corners attached) as a "tailgate". The other had equally crappy brakes, a VERY low clutch and a tailgate that took two mechanical engineers in the group to rig in such a way that it wouldn't fall down when we went over bumps. The flat tire was fixed pretty quickly, but compared to the truck we rented last year from Bonaire Rent A Car, both of these were deathtraps. The interiors were shredded, too.

To top it all off, when I got home I found a $48 charge on my card from Telerin with no communication from them as to why this was charged. A few days of emailing later, I was advised that it was for "According to the rental agents both truck were returned with less gasoline, the charge of $48,00 on your credit card was for Filling up both trucks ." which was a total lie. Telerin refunded the charges, but I can only assume they were hoping I wouldn't notice.

BRAC again next year.

-Ben

In Feb 2012, we used the services of Caribe rentals (2 trucks first week and three second week) and had no problem whatsoever. Patrick, if I remember correctly, came by the airport with one vehicle to pick up two drivers to process the paperwork at his nearby office upon our arrival. Returning the vehicles was also trouble free as we dropped everybody and the luggages at the airport, returned the vehicles and then he drove the drivers back to the airport.

we were told that poppy is having someone else help him now - and that this is where things are going wrong, the new guy has crappy trucks. I don't know - but I would STONGLY recommend staying FAR away from Telerin.

Umm, Poppy is a she not a he.

We rented from Poppy in September 2012. The truck was in very good shape but the passenger seat belt was hard to use. I called Poopy and within a couple hours she delivered another truck to me that was in great shape. It would be very disappointing if their guality has gone down becuse thier pick-up/drop-off is the easiest of any I've used.

Over the years, I have used AB, Poppy/Telrin, Netty's, Budget and Island (I think it was). None have been perfect and none have been awful.

That said, I strongly prefer to use Telerin/Poppy -- I have used them for the last five or six years (one three week rental per year).

Here is why I like Telerin -- price and service.
a) You get out of the airport in record time. I am on the road in my own truck literally within three minutes of clearing customs. No hauling bags across the parking lot (or taking a cab to anther location). No standing in line. "Processing the paperwork" takes about 15 seconds (one signature).
b) The drop off at the airport is easy and effortless. You just park the car and go catch your flight. No driving to another location, swapping bags, etc. No taking a cab from the rental place.
c) She is not uptight about the odd ding or scratch on her trucks. No arguing about a small scratch -- and no 10 minute pre/post inspections with careful documentation.
d) Her prices were always very good (I decline the CDW) and instead use the AMEX premium. She accepts AMEX which makes this possible.
e) I have always found her very responsive -- whether by phone, email or simply finding her at the airport.

All of that said, if I had a truck I was unhappy with I would have tried to work it out at that time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom