• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Car for family dive trips

Discussion in 'British Isles' started by BlueTrin, Jul 21, 2020.

1. drakcheslav

drakcheslav Contributor

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    @Gareth J
    did you consider the Skoda Scala. It's like a bit shorter Octavia, and a lot cheaper.
    Inside it's basically an Octavia, just a bit shorter in the trunk

2. HKGuns

HKGuns Contributor

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    F150 in London would be great fun.

3. Diving Dubai

Diving Dubai Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I drive a ford F150 Raptor with double cab. The reg legroom is the same as my old S500 LWB

The truck is 6.2m bumper to bumper, 2.5m wing mirror to wing mirror and weighs 3500kg. It does 10mpg IF you drive it nicely (6.2 V*) but 140l tanks cost me £35

It would be a nightmare (but oh so much fun) in the UK especially since it's CO2 is north of 500g/km

That said it does tow well, I've taken a taxi off they lights (They drive like madmen) with a 7000kg club boat and trailer behind me (when that's attached it's 20m from front bumber to the outboards - certainly not allowed in UK)

Happily takes 20 cylinders, 2 scooters a few cool boxes and gear for a weekend away. Land rover Discovery TDi - don't waste my time! :p

* Aware that other that F150, most US readers won't understand this post :popcorn:

BlueTrin likes this.
  4. Gareth J

Gareth J Contributor

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    You would be in luck, Petrol prices are unusually low at the moment because of the lockdown, it would only cost you about £150 to fill up in the UK at the moment :cheers:.

It would cost more to drive to and from the boat, than for a full weekend of diving.

Diving Dubai and BlueTrin like this.
  5. BlueTrin

BlueTrin ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Yea I came to the same conclusion, I think the previous example because it was due to carrying construction parts, it’s incredibly easy to go over the limit: bricks are very dense for example.

Yea, living in London, car size (for parking) and mileage per unit of fuel is an issue for me

In London, there is even a tax on old engines (mostly on old Diesel engines), so many people here buy petrol rather than diesel (in case they change the regulations and include more Diesel engines in the ULEZ charges)

6. Edward3c

Edward3c Instructor, Scuba

I can fit a compressor plus all my dive kit and still has room for 3 passengers in my Lexus. The one I really wanted I saw in Thailand, but at B12,000,000 (£300,000) I can’t afford it.

BlueTrin likes this.