Capture of Shark Finning Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rickg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
"Customs Minister Chris Ellison said Australian officers found two complete holds full of dried shark fin and more than 50 whole sharks on the vessel."

It never ceases to amaze and horrify me just how much damage a single boat can do. I just hope the Australian legal system can really make an example of these people and hopefully deter others. The sad thing is that if they had not been inside Australian territorial waters then there would not have been a dam thing that could have been done to stop the boat.

cut their legs off then throw them overboard

Wow. In service for two whole days before finding this. I think these guys are going to be busy.

Last night the authorities burnt the boast in question, and made sure the media were there to capture it :)

lissette:
Last night the authorities burnt the boast in question, and made sure the media were there to capture it :)

lissette,

More power to them. It is good to seem that the Australian justice systems doesn't have their hands tied by the "niceties" of the legal system when it comes to something like this. I just wish that more countries would do the same.

Rickg

Way to go Aussie justice system!! Too bad the US legal sytem is too worried about criminals rights! Should now turn the scum over to their victims relatives for punishment! Can you say CHOMP!!

Indonesian fishing boats are a very real problem in Northern Australian waters.

I didn't read the posted articles so this maybe stating the already stated - but the Australian Government is putting a lot of heat on the Indonesian Government right now to try to get them to better police their waters and punish errant fisherman.

The problem is - certain cultures believe so strongly in the power of shark fin that they are willing to pay stupidly high prices for shark fin [and the fisherman are from one of the poorest countries in the world].

We have to some how stop the demand, whilst also policing the waters, confiscating catches and burning boats. The Australian Government is even pushing to be able to try and jail the perpetrators in Australia rather than returning them to Indonesia, which is what currently happens.

Gee this whole thing upsets me. All driven by money.

Don't get me started on Japan paying countries to vote for them to be able to hunt whales for 'scientific reasons'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom