Captain Lost Our Group

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A surface swim in? where the heck were you guys? So unusual for Cozumel diving to not have been close enough to have another boat see you and help you out.

Late afternoon/evening dive. Not nearly as many boats out then.

A surface swim in? where the heck were you guys? So unusual for Cozumel diving to not have been close enough to have another boat see you and help you out.

It was an afternoon dive at Punta Tunich and yes strange, but Pedro and Miguel both said no boats passed! Because it was getting late, Miguel made the decision to start swimming towards shore so that they would not end up floating in the dark with no lights, which would have made it very difficult - a good decision planning for the worst case scenario IMO.

Billiken and his dive partner were with Miguel as a private DM. They surfaced before Pedro and his 3 divers, but Pedro and his divers also floated for 35 minutes - totally unacceptable! Currents were not really unusual for Tunich, but according to the captain, they surfaced earlier than he expected and further north than he expected, still no excuse - he should have been following them the entire time.

I think this is because it was an afternoon two tank trip, beginning at 2:00 pm at the dock. If this was a standard morning 2 tank dive I bet there would have been many boats nearby (without knowing what site it was).

You can bet that I will "sit" on my daughter when she grumbles about clipping on her SMB (she wants to stay streamlined and uncluttered, a good overall plan) when we get to Coz in July. This might also have been an ideal situation for a diver equipped with a Nautilus Lifeline radio, it seems. I also wonder if anyone in the group tried other means to signal - mirror, Dive Alert, etc..

It was an afternoon dive at Punta Tunich and yes strange, but Pedro and Miguel both said no boats passed! Because it was getting late, Miguel made the decision to start swimming towards shore so that they would not end up floating in the dark with no lights, which would have made it very difficult - a good decision planning for the worst case scenario IMO.

Billiken and his dive partner were with Miguel as a private DM. They surfaced before Pedro and his 3 divers, but Pedro and his divers also floated for 35 minutes - totally unacceptable! Currents were not really unusual for Tunich, but according to the captain, they surfaced earlier than he expected and further north than he expected, still no excuse - he should have been following them the entire time.

Your DM's did a great job, as evidenced by the person who posted! Amazing no one passed by, it always seems like there are boats all over the place.....except when you need one!

Dangerous? You're safe as a kitten there. You're not the type who wears two condoms are you?

Sorry, can't help myself but... :rofl3:

I keep thinking about kittens in very dangerous situations and the 40-year-old virgin.

Good to hear everyone is OK.

Should DM's or divers in Cozumel have a Nautilus Lifeline or a similar device?

I personally think all divers should be required to have a SMB/mirror.

I personally think all divers should be required to have a SMB/mirror.

I met with similar requirements in both the Great Barrier Reef and the Galapagos. I think it is very feasible and have said so in the past. An operator could have plenty available so that if divers don't bring their own, they purchase one or rent one at a very reasonable rate. Operators should be able to purchase them at a reasonable rate, and since they would be rarely used the rental ones would still be going strong for a very long time after the rental fees had paid for them.

After diving Coz early with my kids, and later prior to going to Similan Islands (also some drift diving) I got nice SMB's and Strobes, and carry them often. I would not be "shocked" by the original posters situation (I have been too far from boat to be seen before); but I'm sure it was very unpleasant.

I go by the axiom "I'm my only hope for a hero" (I got that from Joe vs the Volcano).

Better luck next time!!
Bob in CO

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom