Trip Report Captain Don’s Habitat Sept 4th - Sept 11th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On our recent trip in June, we stayed near Captain Don's and we had dinner at Rum Runners once and ordered the pizza take out a second night. It is good pizza, and we both enjoyed our sit down meal off the dinner menu. I laughed when we show up without a reservation and they act like they are doing us a favor by letting us eat without having a reservation - there were plenty of empty tables at 6 p.m.

We've learned to just make reservations everywhere after one of those kind of experiences. Showed up at Lions Den (now Ingridients) first day, about 5:45, EMPTY. First question > "Do you have a reservation?" got a small table by the kitchen, with reservations we get waterfront.

We've learned to just make reservations everywhere after one of those kind of experiences. Showed up at Lions Den (now Ingridients) first day, about 5:45, EMPTY. First question > "Do you have a reservation?" got a small table by the kitchen, with reservations we get waterfront.
I enjoyed Ingredients with a reservation and a waterfront table. :) I get your point. Typically we do Rum Runners our first night as it's close to our lodging (Coral Paradise). We are so tired we eat and leave, no table hogging here. And I understand when Captain Don's is full, they want tables available for their guests. They tore down all the bungalows and are adding new buildings, so things are a little quiet there now.

I enjoyed Ingredients with a reservation and a waterfront table. :) I get your point. Typically we do Rum Runners our first night as it's close to our lodging (Coral Paradise). We are so tired we eat and leave, no table hogging here. And I understand when Captain Don's is full, they want tables available for their guests. They tore down all the bungalows and are adding new buildings, so things are a little quiet there now.

Exciting they tore down the bungalows. They were aging, my other half had the ceiling fall in one trip. We learned to play the game and if a reservation 5 minutes in advance counts, we will make a reservation. Totally with you - first night I just want food close by, a beverage and a bed. Typically walk to Capt Don for a burger and watch the tarpon.

We had Rum Runner pizza once. The crust was crispy like a corn chip. Did we just get a bad pizza or do people actually like that?

Exciting they tore down the bungalows. They were aging, my other half had the ceiling fall in one trip. We learned to play the game and if a reservation 5 minutes in advance counts, we will make a reservation. Totally with you - first night I just want food close by, a beverage and a bed. Typically walk to Capt Don for a burger and watch the tarpon.

Yeah, I forgot about that - the construction site right behind the accomodations. It is pretty loud, disruptive and dirty. Noise was thankfully restricted to 7am - 5pm ish...

On our last trip we stayed at Buddy and ventured over to Captain Don's for a change of scenery a couple of times and.we received the same chilly reception and lack of service for both evening cocktails in the bar and an evening meal and see no reason to visit that place again unless we heard there were some major changes. There are so many good places on the island, even Buddies house restaurant, that there is no need to frequent places where the employees have a surly attitude and are serving average food.

On our last trip we stayed at Buddy and ventured over to Captain Don's for a change of scenery a couple of times and.we received the same chilly reception and lack of service for both evening cocktails in the bar and an evening meal and see no reason to visit that place again unless we heard there were some major changes. There are so many good places on the island, even Buddies house restaurant, that there is no need to frequent places where the employees have a surly attitude and are serving average food.
I just spent a month at Buddy Dive, and went over to Rum Runners several times for dinner. Blennies at Buddy Dive is good, but not great, and eating ther for many lunches an dinners get to be a bit boring. Rum Runners' new menu has some very good things on it, and was a nice diversion. I'll be trying their Monday night BBQ (about which I've heard good things) next trip (Dec). their pizza is good thin-crust pizza, in contrast to the good thick/chewy-crust pizza at Pasa Bon. People tend to like one or the other and denigrate the one they don't like as bad pizza.

We've stayed at Captain Dons and Buddy Dive each at least 3 times.
Love the studio with full kitchen at Buddys . The rooms are the perfect size for two of us and small enough they cool off fast.
Prefer Captain Dons dive locker area, easier access to lockers and much more room, possibly due to less divers...
Can't comment on food, we bring our own or eat across the street, KFCgull or pizza at the mall in town.
They share the same house reef(s) and go to the same dive sites.
Buddy Dive is much nicer place, would give it more stars, but that is also reflected in the price difference.

There is not much of a price difference - we had both places quoted out (Studio at Buddy Dive, Junior Suite at Captain Dons), with car and same boat dive package. Price within $100. Buddy is bigger for sure, but also appears way better maintained and an overall better product...which in turn makes Captain Dons look overpriced.

Like I said, we went with Capt Dons as Buddy was sold out - will not make that mistake again.

We went to Buddy for lunch a couple times, walked the premises, chatted with dive shop & front desk staff - the overall attitude was night and day, and that was despite us not being guests at the resort...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom