Captain Don's for single diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flounderin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all. I am considering a late summer trip to Bonaire and will be traveling alone. For this of you who have stayed at Captain Don's, do you feel this is a pretty safe area and did you like the divemasters? I generally stay at the Divi with a group, but it didn't work out this year, and frankly I hated seeing all those monstrous cruise ships right out front. Opinions please for a vintage diver traveling alone. Thanks

Hi all. I am considering a late summer trip to Bonaire and will be traveling alone. For this of you who have stayed at Captain Don's, do you feel this is a pretty safe area and did you like the divemasters? I generally stay at the Divi with a group, but it didn't work out this year, and frankly I hated seeing all those monstrous cruise ships right out front. Opinions please for a vintage diver traveling alone. Thanks
As a "vintage diver" you'll fit right in at Capt Don's.

Well, groovy :) thanks for that tidbit...from one vintage to probably another!

I think capt dons should work out well. Restaurant and bar on site on the water. Dive set up on the water with a boat and shore diving dock. Easy to walk over to buddys to try their restaurants as well. If primarily boat diving they have the best way of doing it where they do three single tanks a day and there is a chalk board where they post the afternoon before the boats and sites for the next day. Just write in your dive number for the boats you want. If you change your mind even last minute just erase your dive number.

I was there exactly a year ago and although we didn't stay at Capt Dons (we were in a villa just north in Sabadeco) we dove the CD house reef several times and thought it was one of the better sites... We also had dinner at RumRunners at least 4-5 nights and thought the atmosphere and food and value was some of the best on the island. We had absolutely zero concerns regarding security or safety.

Also, don't know if your are already certified as solo......but if you ever considered getting your solo diver certification then Brian at the SDI-TDS shop right there at Captain Dons is a fine instructor and runs a great SDI Solo Diver course.....if he's still there! Could not be any more convenient. You can complete all of the academics online ahead of time prior to your trip and then do the reviews and dives all in one day once you're there.... They will supply any additional gear needed for the course.......or if you haul your own then they will gladly fill your pony as long as hydro and VIS are current. Might be something worth considering since you're traveling alone anyway. For me, the course was a totally fun, valuable and rewarding experience.

Hope you have a great time!

I think capt dons should work out well. Restaurant and bar on site on the water. Dive set up on the water with a boat and shore diving dock. Easy to walk over to buddys to try their restaurants as well. If primarily boat diving they have the best way of doing it where they do three single tanks a day and there is a chalk board where they post the afternoon before the boats and sites for the next day. Just write in your dive number for the boats you want. If you change your mind even last minute just erase your dive number.
That sounds what I’m looking for. Thanks for the info.

You will have plenty of chances to make friends on Don's awesome boats. Dive masters were great in and out of the water. Very easy to socialize at the restaurant either at breakfast or in the evenings and also at the bar. Security is present at the entrance and the resort always felt very safe. I would think it would be ideal for a solo vintage 100%.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom