Captain Don vs Buddy's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're shore diving Buddy's has the drive-thru tank pickup. I think you can also stay at Caribbean Club or BelMar in Belnem and use it since their dive operations are affiliated. All three are linked on the main Buddy's website.

For shore diving at other sites - at Capt' Don's does anyone know if you have to carry tanks up the ramp from the locker area? That might get old fast.

Tank storage is at the same level as the parking lot. Short term parking is available for gear pickup. You do have to carry tanks down to the dock.

I've stayed 3 times so far at Buddy's and like the convinience. From the airport pickup/dropoff, the drivethru tank pick up, free nitrox, breakfast buffet. Food at the pool bar is pretty good. A lot of the rooms have been renovated. The staff is friendly. And when I go back to Bonaire will probably stay here.
As for Capt Don's, I've not stay there but have checked the place out. Rooms seem pretty good. They have a nice bar and restaurant area. I've eaten there a few times and the food was quit good. The staff seems friendly.

The only thing I would suggest is to visit both of their websites and compare packages.

If you are staying at Don's, just leave them on the pier, next to the rinse tank. They will schlepp them!

My wife and I just wrapped up 10 days in Bonaire. We stayed at Coral Paradise and got our tanks thru Captain Dons. We also did two boat dives with Dons. My wife and I both thought the customer service at Don's leaves a lot to be desired. The service at their restraunt Rum Runners sucked in the morning for breakfast. That was our only experience with Rum Runners.

The employees with the dive shop were knowledgeable, but certainly didn't go out of their way to help. They assign you a number when you get their dive package. You use that number to sign up for boat dives. Well we thought the whole time we were just a number to them, not customers. Our next trip we will get the dive package thru Buddy Dive.

Captan Don's house reef, La Machaca was great! It is an easy dive from their dock.

Kudos to Coral Paradise! Great place to stay.

View attachment 125695View attachment 125696Have stayed at both many times.Prefer Buddys..Rental truck included in dive/drive package with 6 boat dives and unlimited shore diving.Nitrox is free. Breakfast buffet included. I just returned last Saturday and took 19 people there. All had a great time, both the new ones who never dove there to some that have been there 4+ times. You may be able to negotiate a package for 50% off resort restaurant at this time of year. I negotiated a DEMA special with all I listed and 9 boat dives. Most if not all the rooms have just been renovated and I have to say they look great. No smell , no bugs, air conditioning worked very well. Food at their restaurant has improved from last year and service was fairly fast.

I've stayed 3 times so far at Buddy's and like the convinience. From the airport pickup/dropoff, the drivethru tank pick up, free nitrox, breakfast buffet. Food at the pool bar is pretty good. A lot of the rooms have been renovated. The staff is friendly. And when I go back to Bonaire will probably stay here.
As for Capt Don's, I've not stay there but have checked the place out. Rooms seem pretty good. They have a nice bar and restaurant area. I've eaten there a few times and the food was quit good. The staff seems friendly.

The only thing I would suggest is to visit both of their websites and compare packages.

I guess it will be more about preference. Buddy Dive seems to be more family friendly.

We've been to Bonaire 3 times and stayed at Buddy Dive twice and will be staying there again next February when we go back. A buddy of ours (who used to take dive trips down there 2 to 3 times a year for 6 years) has stayed at Captain Don's and has said he prefers Buddy Dive (but he has NOTHING against Don's). Food is good at both places.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom