Cape Town Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Andy

The diving in Cape Town is amazing all year round (well at least I think so).

Generally the conditions are fine for shore diving. There will be days when the surf is pounding or the surge ripping making a shore dive miserable but more often than not it is very calm. Most people choose to dive in False Bay (the Indian Ocean side) during winter because of the direction that the wind blows in winter.

Its hard to predict what viz you will get. It changes a lot due to conditions but the average is usually about 6-8m.

If you do go diving here you will see a TON of shysharks (Haploblepharus fuscus) and pyjama sharks (Poroderma africanum). I haven't really seen many other species of cat sharks about but, since I know so little about them, I might have easily seen a cat shark and not known that it was a cat shark. :lotsalove:

Some other (non-cat sharks) to look out for here are gully sharks, cow sharks and great whites! :bounce:

I'm a member of my University's diving club and we go diving a LOT so drop me a PM if you would like to pick up some local buddies or want a few suggestions for good dive ops to contact.

Dived yesterday and today, water temp around 14 deg C. Viz around 12m. Shorediving as previously mentioned is definitely a possibility at this time of year.

Other species to look for - Haploblepharus edwardsii, Haploblepharus pictus, Poroderma pantherinum. There are sixteen species found around Southern Africa, four of which are commonly found in Cape Town waters.

A couple of friends of mine have written books on marine life specific to Cape Town, shout if you need help, someone to dive with or to point out locations for you.

Thanks for the heads up. I shoot for Shark Diver Magazine and we want to get as many species as possible while I am there. Rays too if there are any.
I'll be on a very tight budget for the trip. So, where is the best place to stay and rent some cold water kit, tanks, and weights?
Dive buddies that can show me some sights would be most welcome.

Also, how do I add a signature line to my posts so that divers can see my personal website? If you're interested it is:
shark pictures and information about sharks and rays

Contact Pisces Divers - SCUBA Diving Cape Town PADI Courses || Pisces Divers for equipment hire.

E-mail Mike - mike@piscesdivers.co.za - he will also be able to help you find reasonable accomodation. It's also on his site under Packages.

Here are some of my Cape Town shark pics AndyTuwphoto - Sharks
Mike knows where to find them.

Drop me a PM if you want to arrange some dives - I will try to get one or two of our local "experts" to join us. There is plenty of shore diving to be done over here.

I'd just like to add a second recommendation for Pisces. They are an awesome bunch of guys with great prices. And so conveniently close to most of the shore dives in False Bay ... how convenient :D

I can give you contact details for other ops if you want to compare prices but I doubt you will find a better op/price than Pisces.

Accommodation is a different beast though. I'm glad that Andy mentioned that Mike can hook you up because the only way to find competitively priced accom is if you know all of the private B&Bs etc ... something which I know nothing about. :lotsalove: All of the commercial hotels are hellishly expensive.

Hope you have good luck looking for our toothy friends!

Thanks again for the info. And, nice 7 gill pics. Are they easy to find or do you have to be really lucky to see them? And do they have a time of year?

I have a delay to my intended visit. I am flying to Gran Canaria on Saturday to look for Angel Sharks. Once that is out of the way I will start calling dive shops to nail down the SA trip.

Best,

Seven Gills are easy to find but not always plentiful. Normally year round.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom