Cape May reef - redbirds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shiprekd

Reaction score
Anyone here been on them yet? For that matter, anyone been on the reef the past year from here?

I might go looking for them sometime in June. I'm kind of curious how the vis is out there.

Cape May reef? Anyone ever dive the Atlantus off of Sunset Beach?

I guess the question to ask is; IS there any decent recreational diving off of South Jersey? I usually spend time in Wildwood at the end of the summer, and never thought of it as a Dive mecca?

I,ve done 80% of my dives off S. Jersey, there are some great wrecks out there, give it a try.

Interesting! I've never really considered South Jersey to be a dive mecca! What are the conditions? Where do you go?

Tanked2.0:
I,ve done 80% of my dives off S. Jersey, there are some great wrecks out there, give it a try.

I'm interested in this too. . . I've been unable to find mucn in the way of S. Jersey diving websites, photos, info, etc. . . . Is there anything out there?

NJ scuba has a comprehensive list of dives off NY,NJ coast
http://njscuba.net/sites/index.html
While there are more charters in central and north Jersey It wouldn't be that far of a drive from WW.
edited to add a direct link to the Atlantus

Buoyant1:
Cape May reef? Anyone ever dive the Atlantus off of Sunset Beach?

Good question. My family owned a home on Cape May Point for more years than I can count. Spent a few weeks of every summer there until my parents sold the house a couple years ago.

I've always been intrigued by the Atlantus. Watched it sink over the years. My mother (born in 1941) said in her youth you could take boats out to it and walk on it. I always wanted to snorkel or dive it but it looked pretty dangerous. Figured the rebar would be pretty unpredictable.

I do have a professional photo framed and hanging in my living room of the Atlantus taken a few years back. Not much to look at any more. :(

Paula

I grew up in South Jersey.
There are tons of wrecks offshore.
My experience has been with an average vis of 10-20 feet.
Sometimes the vis is alot better and sometimes its alot worse.
The water temp is in the 50's F on the bottom.

Cape May reef has some good diving wrecks.
It can be hard to stay away from
the fishermen in the summer. Check out njwreckdiving.com and njscuba.net.

Have fun

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom